Silent Voice

After years of school i finally got where i wanted to be.

Not many people would want to do this job. Honestly the work as psychiatrist is fascinating.
Today i am getting my first patient.

My coworkers told me that he can't speak.
By what i heard, he was abused by his family, until a big accident occurred when he was five. Since than he just doesn't speak. I made it my duty to help him.

Even with my confidence and slight enthusiasm my hands were shaking as i walked the long hallway. Some patients were watching through the small window on their doors. I would be lying if i said it didn't creep me out.

Finally i stepped in front of the door with number '106'.
I gently knocked on the door to let my patient know i'm coming in.
,,Hello,"i said as i walked inside. He was sitting on a bed, as he waved back and smiled.

,,Shimura Tenko, age 21...You're here for quite some time, aren't you, buddy?" He simply nodded again.
It was so quiet, yet his presence made me feel a little less nervous.
The big red orbs didn't stare at me with complete insanity and judgement. Instead he was calm, on his face was a small smile. I could tell he was a little nervous too though, his hands slightly shook. Tenko had white, bluish hair. I was told he has Marie Antoinette syndrome. His skin was pale and dry, they didn't really took care of their patients. Noted, i will change it.
I walked over to him, giving him a notepad and a pen.
,,Since you have problem with talking, this is how we're going to communicate, is that okay?"

,,Yes" Was written on the paper.

This took on for days. I came in we 'talked' a little bit, i left. Our small chats were usually about his nightmares, all his clinically found mental illnesses or disorders. Yet i never found out why he didn't talk. He never wrote why did he give up on trying or why did he not want to get better. That was another interesting thing i learned about him. He didn't wanted to be 'cured', nor he wanted to get help from anyone. It was the first thing he told me and it was really surprising.
This time i wanted to make something more from our conversation.

I unlocked the thick door and stepped in. Tenko was laying on his bed, his eyes were open, scanning the room.
,,Shimura-san...Today i have few important questions to ask you..."I said as he sat up. He tilted his head in confusion.
,,I'm sorry if i'm asking about a touchy subject, but i really want to help you...Not only to make you talk, but to rid you of your night terrors."
He sighed, but nodded. Which actually made me happy.
,,Let's get this over with, shall we?"i smiled at him warmly.

,,I need to know why you stopped talking..."
Tenko looked at me, his eyes wide. Probably didn't expect me to be so blunt with it.

It took him few seconds, but eventually he took the notepad and started writing the cursed words onto it.
He kept looking at it. Just silently reading over the lines, fighting with himself whether to let me see it or not. Or at least that's how i saw it.
Tenko handed me the notebook, looking at the wall in front of him.

,,I always wanted to be a police man...or something similar to that. My dad wasn't the most supportive one of this. Probably because his mom died during the cop work. One day my sister and i found a picture about my grandma, dad found out...He wasn't happy. I received a beating and was left outside the house without food. It was only me and my dog.
That night a fire occurred in our house. Everyone burned to death...Well, everyone except me. I could only watch through the window as my family slowly disappeared in the fire. I remember my father telling me that i was annoying and that i always talk bullshit. It was like that almost every day, until that happened. So i stopped. That day when everything turned to ashes, i stopped talking, i gave up on everything...And now we're here. You are the first one that didn't just forced my mouth open. I remember crying every night because of the mean doctors. I don't feel pressured and i actually want to get better now, i thank you for that. I really like you :)"