The Attic

I could feel my heartbeat pounding violently as I opened the attic door. I knew something was there but was unsure of what. So here I am, trying to find two very special objects: a diamond neckless with a locket of my dad and a family portrait that my mother asked me to get. As I went to retrieve the two objects I felt a chill run down my spine. I closed my eyes and felt it nearly touch me, caress my cheek. . . The heavy door slowly closed. My heart accelerated.

I unlocked the large chest under the creepy attic window, ruffling through all the antiques to locate the two items. If it wasn't so very creepy, I might have looked through it all closely, but a chill was running down my back as it was. Grabbing the portrait, I couldn't help but admire my dads strong face -his chestnut brown hair, light green eyes, and that single dimple that my mom swore made any woman swoon. My eyes flickered to my mothers face, so alive. Her black hair cascaded down and framed her heart shaped face. Her features were soft. The picture saddened me, she always looked so tired now, so worn down. I stepped away, realizing I was still in our very creepy attic.

I noticed a glint, and lying not too far away was the locket my father had given me. A week before he had died, he handed it to me and told me that when I really needed him I could open it up and look at him. After he died of cancer, I tried to open it but it wouldn't open. I put it up here because I couldn't bear to be so close and yet so far. I picked up the locket, and brushed a thumb over the gold etchings. A breeze lightly brushed me and it felt like a caress, and I wasn't worried. I was inside a creepy attic, the door closed and an unexplained wind caresses my cheek? Sketchy, but nevertheless I felt okay. a light click sounded as the locket popped open and a small note fluttered to the ground. I picked it up uneasily and slowly opened it to see my fathers handwriting.

My dearest daughter,

I understand that if you are reading this, I have passed away. I hope I went relatively easily. Darling, don't be scared to live. I believe that when you can finally read this, you will be ready to know everything. I was very sick, it is true. I have been for years. I wasn't always the best man, and I acknowledge that. Your mother and I fought constantly and even a few times we all wondered if things wouldn't work out. They did; barely. I love your mother -- and it pains me to know that she suffered while I died. Even when I had known for a long time that I was going to die. I had accepted it, and I hope that by the time you read this you and her have both accepted it as well. I bet you were mad at me, huh? Wish I could've seen you yelling at me, like I'm sure you did.

Hey, there's an idea! What if I can see you? What if I can watch over you? No matter what. Baby girl, you were and are the best thing -- alongside your mother -- to happen to me, and I will never fully leave you. When you wear this, I want you to know that I love you and that right this second I am holding you in my arms -- though you may not feel it.

I love you darling. I want you to live and be happy. Miss me, yes -- but make sure nothing bad ever takes over your life. Also, do me a favor, help your mom. She went through a lot for me and she deserves much better than that.

With all my love,

Your Father

What felt like wind wrapped around me and covered me in a cocoon as I cried. I cried for my mother who looked so lost without him, my father who had had to deal with his mortality for so long, and lastly for myself. I felt a tear be lifted and made out a shimmer in front of me.

Maybe my dad didn't leave me after all.

I let my lips fall into a small watery smile and watched the door slowly swing back open, granting me access to the outside world. Slipping the note back in the locket and placing it around my neck, I picked up the portrait and walked down the stairs. With my daddy close to my heart, I knew that things would get better.