Chapter One

"I need a mic!"

"Where's my other shoe?"

"Oh my God, my make-up is smudging!"

"Someone help me stuff my bra!"

Chaos was breaking out backstage at Sunset, The Best View in Town as girls were scrambling to get ready for tonight's show. I've been performing here for about two years, so I'm very used to the craziness now. In fact, I've actually grown to really love it.

Burlesque singing and dancing are my passions. I'm super excited because tonight is my night to shine. Tonight is my Sunday's Best. At Sunset, all the girls here share the spotlight every night until Sunday's Best. Luckily for me, I have the chance to stand out. Cheryl, my boss, promoted me to one of her main dancers about 8 months ago. There's only four of us, and we each have our own special concert once a month. Each concert falls on a Sunday. Sundays have the biggest turn outs and bring the highest revenues, so of course Cheryl is going to pick the cream of the crop to perform for Sunday's Best.

It feels great to know that I'm one of the girls who keeps the men coming to Sunset. And I know it's more than just my boobs, my ass, and my sexy clothing. I don't mean to brag, but I have amazing talent. I'm kind of a big deal.

I walk over to my vanity chair, and I begin to think of my life over the past few years as I add the finishing touches to my hair and make-up. To think, two years ago I was just an 18-year-old kid who came to Oxford, England to go to college and run away from her problems in New York. I had no money, no friends, and I didn't have the slightest clue at all about Oxford University, or the UK at all for that matter. All I had was my instruments, my modeling portfolio, my talent, and my dream. And now I have a feeling that my dream will soon come true.

"HEY," Cheryl called for me as she quickly paced out of backstage.

I wonder where she's going.  

"GET YOUR ASS UP; YOU'RE ON IN FIVE!"

Show time.