The Final Bar

My cheek was stinging and growing red from the place where she had slapped me. Silently my mouth hung open in dumb surprise as she stood breathing heavily less than a metre away. Her eyebrows hung low and her teeth were bared in what was probably the most brilliant display of animosity I'd ever seen. Beautiful. Even as she looked about ready to spit in my face, she was beautiful.

Suddenly, she stepped back. Her enraged expression softened, and she no longer looked angry--she instead bore look of a broken-hearted teenager. 

"How...why would you do this to me?" she asked, barely a whisper.

My gaze fell slowly to the floor, and I felt the all-too familiar sensation of shame rise up from my stomach and knot itself at the base of my throat. "I'm so sorry. I...I know it was wrong, I know...it was a mistake. Please...forgive me."

"Fuck you!" she cried, her anger back, but in a weakened form. "How can I ever forgive you for this, asshole?"

"I couldn't help myself! It was a moment of weakness!" I pleaded, to no avail.

She stepped back and practically growled, "Every moment I've ever known you has been a moment of weakness. Every stupid thing you've ever done, I could forgive you for...but this? You've gone too far this time."

"Please..."

She turned around and began to walk away, out of my life, forever. I knelt to the ground, the deep sorrow in my heart weighing me down like a ton of lead. She stopped, turned her head slightly and asked, "Did you enjoy it?"

Wiping a single tear from my eye, unable to lie, I breathed, "...yes."

She laughed bitterly, and then she left me there. On my knees, weeping on an empty sidewalk beside an empty street, stuck alone on an empty planet in an empty universe.

I had learnt my lesson. 

Never again will I eat the last Klondike Bar.

the end ~