I

(Name) does not have any choice when she is told that she is arranged to be married. She is informed of the decision by her uncle - who seems suspiciously cheerful at the prospect of marrying her off, even if he tries to hide it - and offers no protest in response.

Ever since her parents' death ten years ago, she has been stripped of her title as the heiress and now lives as if she is nothing more than a clipped bird. She knows she has no choice but to accept the proposal.

The first time she meets him is over a cup of tea. She is sitting across from him, with her uncle seated on her right. They do not converse except for when they greet each other. The rest of the meeting consists of discussing the conditions of their marriage, which she takes no part in.

She spends her time studying him instead. His hair is dark and messy, falling over his pale face and masking his left eye from view. The expression on his face is cold and stoic and she thinks it makes him look unfeeling, just like everyone else in her clan. She brings the cup to her lips and takes a sip of the hot scalding liquid, hoping that it can distract her from the hopelessness she feels inside.

He leaves soon after and she does not see him again until a month later. They are once again seated across from each other but this time they are accompanied by all the clan elders, who are celebrating the finalisation of their marriage. She can hear everyone's boisterous laughter and pointless banter and has no interest in taking any part. He does not either, it seems, because he looks almost bored as he eats his dinner in silence and does not indulge himself in their conversation.

One of the elders suggests they take a walk together after dinner and thats how they find themselves walking through the gardens. She fidgets slightly under the sleeves of the extravagant silk kimono the maids have dressed her in. Despite having been given a life of luxury she knows she is merely a slave trapped within these walls, unable to go against the wishes of her clan which uses her for its own selfish interests.

Neither one of them try to make conversation as they walk in silence under the pale, luminescent moonlight. He trails a few feet in front of her but she does not mind. Her mind is elsewhere, wondering about why he has agreed to marry her but she cannot find it in herself to voice her thoughts. She accompanies him to the compound gates and wishes him a safe trip back home out of courtesy. He only nods in reply, gaze lingering on her for only a few moments before he turns and heads off.

The next time they see each other is on the day of their wedding. She feels small and meek under the weight of all the intricately embroidered layers she has been adorned in. Her Uncle walks her down the aisle but his presence does nothing to alleviate her jittery nerves when her soon to be husband, who is waiting for her at the alter, takes her hand and pulls her to stand next to him.

There are no vows before they are officially declared husband and wife and then he is asked to kiss her. His seems uninterested as he leans in and presses his lips against hers. The kiss is fleeting and when he pulls away she is heartbroken to find that all she feels is emptiness; nothing at all like what she has read about in novels. Everyone else seems to be celebrating, oblivious to the dread that is slowly beginning to settle inside of her as she silently mourns the loss of the happy ending she will never have.