chapter 3

Ivory

After Charlette and I got back to our mansion of a house, she helped me into my dress and pin up my hair so exquisitely, I don't know what I would've done without her.

Shortly after, we went downstairs to join my mother, Anna, and my sister, Amber.

"Everything is ready for you to be on your way to the ball. Have a good time, everyone."

"We will. Take the rest of the night off, Charlette. You deserve it."

"Thank you, milady."

The family went out to the carriage, waiting to ride to the ball, but I stayed just a moment to say good bye to Charlette.

"Goodnight, Charlette. I hope to see your boy soon. You know how much I love him. If I get mother's approval, will you bring him tomorrow?"

"Of course, child. If she says yes, look back at the castle and pretend to push hair behind your ear, and if not, try not to look back. I'll know, darlin', I'll just know.

"I hope to send you the signal. Good night, again."

I walked out the door, and called to mother. I asked her about Charlettw bringing young Henry to the castle. Of course, she said yes. Everyone knows how much I love to play with young children.

I gave Charlette the signal and hopped into the carriage. If I didn't have to worry about my hair getting messed up, I would ask to ride outside, but of course, it's not ladylike, and not something a princess should do.

We arrived at the theatre, and I couldn't get over how beautiful the place was. Every detail was hand carved, everything looked intricate, so complicatedly detailed.

I couldn't imagine how much work was put into this place, especially for this ball.

The first dance I participated in the father and daughter dance. I danced with my grandfather. Shortly after the dance was over, I saw a beautiful young waitress. Her brunette hair was pulled so tightly into a bland bun, I could see her roots. Her mouth was smiling, but her eyes were sad. I needed to find out who she was. I'm drawn to her. I've never felt drawn to a person like this before. This feeling is so deep, it shouldn't even be possible, so I go and introduce myself.

"Hello, I'm-"

"Princess Ivory," she bows, "may I get you something?"

"Yes, I'd like to know your name, if you don't mind."

"Oh I don't mind. My name is Anabelle."

"Well it's nice to meet you, Anabelle. Would you mind to sit and talk with me?"

"I would love to, your highness, but I have to serve yourself and everyone else. I would probably lose my job."

"Oh, no worries. If you get fired, I'll just have you come work for me, how about that?"

"Your highness, that's not necessary. I-"

"Anabelle, if you would like to work for me as a maid or something, I would like to hire you. I will have my guards let you through tomorrow if you want the job. Now tell me, do you have any siblings?"

"I did, well, I would have."

"How do you mean?"

"When I was a little infant, my mother was with child. She died with my father in a fire two months after she found out, or so I'm told."

"I'm so sorry for your loss. You know, my father, King George, died not long ago."

"Of course I know. Everyone knows about the grieving you and your family have endured for a month. I'm sorry for your loss, your highness."

"No need. You never ever felt the love of a mother or a father, or the laughter of a baby sister."

"I have a few things that help me remember their beauty."

"Like what, exactly?"

"I would have to show you someplace else."

"You can show me tomorrow at the palace."

"I'll be there, but until then, I need to get back to work so I can get some pocket money for my... Guardian."

"Alright, I'd like to meet this guardian some day. It was very nice to meet you, Anabelle."

"Nice to meet you, your highness."

As she walked away, my heart was pounding. A little while ago, I learned how to control my breathing while talking to someone if I was trying to remain calm. Fortunately, I was in control, and when she walked away, I pretty much lost it. Shortly after, I was able to gain control again.

I was always told stories about how I would fall in love with a handsome Prince and marry him. I was told I would rule a kingdom with the man I marry. I'm beginning to think that it's not a man I'm supposed to fall in love with, but a woman. The people seem to believe that a woman loving a woman or a man loving a man is a disease. I hope that, with any luck, with my falling head over heels for this woman, I just might change their minds.

"Ivory, are you having a good time? You haven't dance with any of the dashing heirs. Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm alright."

"Dance with one of the boys. It'll make you feel better."

"Mother, I'm fine."

"What's the point of a ball if you aren't going to dance?"

"Mother, I said I'm fine."

"Dont talk to me in that tone of voice, young lady."

"I'm sorry mother. If you really want me to, I'll dance."

"Good. I'll be watching you."

"Alright then."

I looked around a while for Anabelle, but I didn't find her. She must have been in the kitchen. Oh well, I looked around a moment for an empty partner, but didn't find one for a while. Eventually, Anabelle came out. I looked at my mother and nodded then walked over to Anabelle.

"Would you care to dance?"

*********************************
So... What did you guys think!?!

Tell me in the comments, vote give me some feedback! I'll try to post again this week sometime, but idk because I have to study for my honors classes.