1 / Green Boots

Watching the snow fall down through the frosted windows, I rest my head in my hands, leaning down onto the counter

Watching the snow fall down through the frosted windows, I rest my head in my hands, leaning down onto the counter. A loud 'ahem' broke me out of my two second nap and snapped me back into reality. I straighten up and put on my best 'Merry Christmas, I wanna die' smile and look at the customer. "Welcome to Macy's, is there anything I can help you with?"

To my surprise, the customer is a young boy, probably around 9. "Hi, can you help me find the men's winter boots? They're for my dad and I can't find any in the men's shoe section." I raise a brow and look over at the shoe department. I look back at him and smile, nodding. "Yeah of course. Was there a specific color or brand you wanted?" I press the 'away from counter' button under the information desk and step out, signaling for him to follow me to the men's shoe section. "No but his favorite color is green so..." I nod at his words and look for the boots.

After spending a few minutes trying to look for any winter boots, I give up, and sigh in defeat. "I'm sorry I don't think anyone has restocked this section. You could come back in a few days and try then? Or we could order for some more to be delivered to this Macy's and you can pick them up around next week?" I walk with him back to the information desk. He lets his defeated look seep through his falling smile. "No it's okay... Thank you though. Merry Christmas." He begins to walk out of the store but I quickly stop him. "Okay look, if we're really quick and quiet, I can bring you to the stock room and you can look for some there. But you can't tell anyone or I will most likely get fired." I nod towards the stock rooms door that's behind the information desk. He nods excitedly and walks around to get into the information desk.

I take him out back and smile at Jules, my coworker. She gives me a confused look, her eyes darting from me to the kid. I give her a shy smile and she rolls her eyes. "That's the third one, Val." I pick up a blanket out of a stock box and throw it at her. "Shut up. Watch out so Elanor doesn't come and fire me." She nods and continues counting the different stock and unboxing it all. I take the kid around to the shoe's shelves and gesture to the shelves. "Alright kid, which ones would your dad like?" He points to some deep green and black winter boots on the top shelf. Of course. I nod and climb the shelves as if I was a rock climber. I grab the boots and check the size. "What size is he again?" I look at the kid. "11 I think..." He pauses to think, then smiles and nods. "Yeah 11. He's tall. He was gonna be a basketball player but then he had me." His smile fades and I frown. I quickly check the size and grab the kids hand, bringing him out of the stock room. "Well I think that's pretty great. I'm no basketball player but I did play Soccer when I was in high school." He smiles. "Football?" I roll my eyes and nod. "Football."

We walk to the register counters and I quickly log into the register. I scan the boots and grab a bag for them. "That'll be $89.99." I smile at him. He pulls out a plastic baggy with a buttload of coins in it. He starts counting the coins and smiles, pushing all of them towards me once he was done counting. "That should be it. I look at the coins and shrug my shoulders, putting it in the register after counting it all for myself. I bag the shoe box with the boots inside and hand him the receipt along with the bag.