Chapter 1

The stumbling figures breaking through the trees came in a pattern. Beyond the thick forest, cradled in the lap of the arching mountains, laid a once sizable town. It was one of the first places to succumb to the sick, with only one hospital and a police force more accustomed to dealing with traffic violations than anything else. It hadn't even held a hundred thousand at its tourist season, but more revenants came out of the woodwork each time we returned from a trip. Boat engines weren't the most quiet.

They would get fifteen yards in, then the ground would quiver underfoot before buckling and sending them into the lake which laid underneath, gaping mouth camouflaged by layers of grass.

I didn't think it was a good place to call camp. Yes, nothing got even close to the base, and even if they did, the meter thick and high walls would keep it at bay. But having to use a boat just to get fresh water was a huge waste of gas. Not as if I could do anything about it aside from complain. No-one agreed, or even seemed all too interested in listening. Guess I couldn't be too offended. I wouldn't trust a brand new member, either.

"Man, aren't you freezing out here?"

Atlas shuffled over with their arms wrapped around their body, black fingernails peaking out from strategic tears in their gloves.

"Not really. I'd rather be cold than hot, anyway."

"Can't relate," they mumbled, bringing their hands up blow frost coated air on them.

"That'll just make your hands colder," I warned.

"How else can I warm up?"

"Not cutting up your gloves would help."

Pure offense coated their face. "Then what's the point of painting my nails? Nobody would see it."

"You'd know it was there."

"That doesn't count for anything." Their fingers wrapped around one of the crenellations, the single thing stopping them from falling flat back as they shifted on their heels.

"You get finally enough rest? Been running yourself to exhaustion I heard."

As soon as I shifted my gaze to look, they dipped their head.

"Maybe. Anyway, is it okay if you do me a favor?""Depends on what it is."

"Uh, Izaak wanted me to pick some people to check on the crops. Leilah already offered to come, and I wanted to know if you would, too?"

Chips of black vanish scraped onto the stone, Atlas' gaze set right on where their shoes creased from rocking back and forth and seemingly blind to how they were ruining their nails.I nodded. "I'd love to get off this glorified rock."

In contrast to the deep circles under their eyes, light sparkled in their green irises. "Really? That's great, since I was kinda banking on you agreeing."