Epilogue

"Wait, wait. Distract me."

Atlas held their palm up, curling it into a fist that didn't quite hide the shaking.

"Distract you?"

"Like, talk to me."

I leaned onto the chair they sat on, letting my gaze roam the building for a conversation."The overalls get any more comfortable?"

Their striped sweater and chinos had been changed out for a bright hoodie and dark-wash overalls. Their feelings on the overalls had never been hidden, and still, they managed to go on for minutes on a very passionate rant about denim. I just nodded when they paused, fighting back a smile at the raw emotion in their voice.

When their rambling reached its height, I pushed the thin needle through their ear.

They sucked in a sharp breath.

"You good?"

Air pushed out of their lungs and they settled back down.

"Yep. Just hurt."

"I'm gonna have to do it again. Tell me when you're ready."

"Uh." The fresh coat of black polish on their nails scraped against the arms of the chair. "Go for it."

I pushed it through the second layer of cartilage.

"And how's your leg?"

"Herschel said I was doing good. It doesn't hurt as much to walk."

Crouching down to grab the barbell, I spared a glance at their leg. Guilt made me look away after a second.

"What about when you woke up?" I asked as I threaded the barbell through the holes.

"Oh. I don't remember." They laughed.

"You were that out of it? Damn."

"Nah, I just..." The light in their voice vanished. They crossed their arms, tilting their head to avoid eye contact.

I finished screwing on the ball and stepped away.

Moving around to face them, I placed a hand on their shoulder.

"Did they do something to you?"

"No, no. It's honestly kind of embarrassing. I—I thought you left me." A knife to the stomach would've been less painful than watching how tears filled their eyes and their voice cracked. "You looked so tired. And I know that I was a dick to you, so I would've deserved it, but—"