Chapter 3

I couldn't even say with certainty that there was something behind the door, with all my thoughts darting back and forth. I dare to take a glimpse anyway, as the room remains at a dead, ominous silence. Other than the shadows surrounding the door, looking like they were there to pinpoint something, I saw nothing. I would have said these were ordinary shadows, but I feel watched, and there's something just not right about them, almost unholy. They're thicker, darker, and inevitably scarier.

I sound insane. If it were any other day, I'd let little things like this slip. But today's been different, for all of us. My inner demons are harrassing me with the thoughts that none of us are safe here. Any moment, I'd look out the window and find Rance dead, or worse even, all of them dead.

The wooden floor tiles change color and darken dramatically, almost like a the world being over spread by a cloud of evil. That's my first impression. Just when the room couldn't get any colder, I begin to see movement. It's not movement from outside through the window- which I had hoped it would be-instead, it's one that sends a firm shiver crawling up my spine, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

The shadows appear to be moving, approaching to close in on me. They're faster than science would accredit to everyday shadows, and I don't think they are typical shadows. I know every inch of matter in this room, and this entity is unwelcome.

I feel as though I'm watching a live scene of a shadow resurrection. The darkness begins to move toward me, and for a split second, I see a humanely shape projected onto the wall. It had been next to the door, so close to where I was sat. It had looked so clearly like a human shadow, which might have been cast from whoever stood by the window.

I turn my head speedily to where Michael and I had been twenty minutes earlier, grabbing my lamp for self defense against the intruder. Although we had never been robbed before, it looks like this might be our first. Burglars have been reported numerous times in Lurberwood, but more often in its neighboring region, Falconside hills; because of it reputation of housing some of the wealthiest families in Colorado.

I look again. There's no one at the window.

Now the shadows get closer, gliding swiftly and gracefully towards my bed. My heart forms a knot and my chest drops. I watch anxiously, anticipating my death.

The rounded door handle wriggles, almost like whatever lay on the other side of this door is at a struggle to get in. Well, good.

Then there's a loud thump from behind the door, followed by a loud, concerning pounding. I don't know what to do. Never in a million years would I have expected for any of this to have happened, but I guess now I am in a better situation than ever to start expecting the unexpected.

On cue, the door slowly opens to unveil my sister, dressed in a knee length sundress, a denim jacket, and a red neck scarf, oblivious to the fact that it was 4p.m.

"God Anna, you really need go get that handle fixed." She states, masking her frustration under a bored expression.

"I'll let Dad know when he gets back in two days." I say, slowly in attempt to stay coherent through the stuttering. " Strange because it was working fine earlier on."

She doesn't say anything, just stands there, arms crossed, and stalls. Her eyes are on me.

I mentally consider bawling my eyes out and just telling her, but knowing Amelia, she wouldn't believe me either way.

"Is everything okay? What's up with you, it's like you've just seen a ghost. Multiple ones, actually." Her gaze is back down to her nails, inspecting the leopard patterns blankly.