Protector

Willard Russell gave me the best life I could ever dream of. We had the perfect little family and the perfect little house up on a hill, surrounded by trees so we had plenty of privacy.

But things weren’t always perfect in the little town of Knocksmith, Ohio. It was nothing like the small town of Coal Creek West Virginia, where Willard and I are from. People here in Knocksmith still treated us as outsiders even though we’ve lived here for nine years. Poor Arvin comes home a couple of times with a black eye because of the boys at school don’t take a likin’ to him very much. Makes my skin crawl the way these boys treat my son.

“I’ll have a talk with your daddy, when he gets home. Alright?” I hum as I grab a frozen steak from the freezer and hand it to Arvin, who sat at the kitchen table. “Here.” I smile as I kneel down and press the frozen meat to his eye. “Makes me sick.” I huff as I stand to my feet.

“He’ll be mad won’t he?”

I shrug my shoulders. “Your daddy just wants what’s best for you. He may be tough on you at times but he does it out of love.”

“Sometimes I feel like I let him down.”

I kneel down beside Arvin, I take the meat from his eye and set it on the table. “Listen to me boy. Your daddy loves you. You know when I found out I was pregnant with you he was so excited. He was grinin’ from ear to ear.” I smile taking Arvin’s hands in mine. “You will never let him down, I promise you. Now how about we go out and play for a bit. Hm?”

“Okay.” Arvin smiles wrapping his arms around my neck. “I love ya, momma.”

I smile as I give him a big squeeze. “I love you, Arvin.”

“Come on Jack, let’s go play.” Arvin grins as he taps his leg for Jack to follow him out the front door and into the yard. I follow behind them and take a seat on the front porch, lighting a cigarette as I watch Arvin throw a stick for Jack to fetch.

And before I know it I hear the truck coming up the driveway. Willard was home. He puts the car in park, and climbs out of the car. He walks over to Arvin, he cups the boys cheeks with his hands and looks over Arvin’s face. Willard furrows his brows. “You’ll be comin’ out back with me today, boy.”

“Yes sir.”

“And how’s my beautiful wife?” Willard asks walking up the steps of the porch. I grin as I stand to my feet and walk over to him, I loop my arms around his neck.

“Much better now that your home, honey.” I smile as I press a kiss to his lips, he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me close. I’ve never loved anyone like I love Willard, he swept me off my feet the day I met him at the diner the say he came home from the war. Everyone said the ‘honeymoon’ stage would end, but truth be told it hasn’t. Willard and I still act very much like the first time we got together, always sharing affection with one another, but that’s the way I like it.

“Second time he’s come home with a black eye. Those little shits keep pickin on him.”

“I know. Makes me furious.” I huff.

“I’m takin’ him out back with me, today.”

“Alright, well when ya get home I need to have a talk with ya.”