Chapter 21

Athena

Throb.

Throb.

Ache.

That was what woke me up. My arm was throbbing and it felt as though a thousand needles were piercing my arm. I touched the throbbing arm and felt that it was bandaged. Like yesterday, I found it difficult to open my eyes. I must have been knocked out hard by whatever was injected into my neck. I still felt drowsy from the injection, and my limbs felt like logs of wood. I peeled my eyes open with much difficulty to realize that I was at the same place where I was kidnapped. It was morning already.

How long did I spend there? I stood up so fast my head started spinning.

They set me free but why?

Then a thought entered my head–the gift. I suspected that it could be what was hurting but there was no time to look at it. I had to get out of there before they returned. I quickly ran back home, not stopping until I reached my house. I banged continuously at the gate and at the same time looking back to see if anyone was behind me. The security guard opened the gate.

"Miss Williams...."

I ran past him without waiting for him to finish his statement. When I got into the house, my parents and siblings were in the living room. Mum was the first to see me.

"Where were you and why are you just coming back?"

"What do you mean, mum?

"You sent a message to me saying that you would be visiting a friend, and that was yesterday! You weren't returning any of our calls."

I was confused 'cause I don't recall sending any message of that sort.

She then saw the plaster on my face and the one on my arm.

"What happened to you?"

That was not important, I needed to see the text message because I was damn sure that I didn't send any message when I left the house. By the way, I left my phone at home.

"What message, mum?" I asked.

"First tell us what happened to you. How did you get hurt?"

"Please, mum. Show me the message."

She showed me the message on her phone. What the hell?

"I didn't send that!"

"Who did?" It was Ares.

I had no answer to that question. It was probably Carlos and his gang of brutes. Blue eyes have been the most terrible person I've met in my life and I don't want to cross paths with him ever again.

"Scratch that," Ares said. "Where were you and why couldn't we track you?"

I wondered why too. I couldn't believe that I spent more than half a day with those brutes.

"And why are you dressed like this?" Dad added.

The questions were making my head spin.

Wanting everything to end, I slowly unwrapped the bandage on my arm, wincing now and then. I dreaded what laid behind the bandage. Hopefully, it wasn't that bad. I remove the bandage fully to reveal a tattoo—a tattoo of a black scorpion.

What the f*ck? My subconscious cursed.

"You went to get a tattoo!" Ares yelled grabbing my arm.

I kept staring at the tattoo in anger. Those bastards gave me a permanent mark on my body.

"Th-that-that's not it!" I stuttered.