Rain On The Pavement

"Lizzie! Wake up!" A voice whisper-yelled in my ear. I groaned. "Come on Liz, it's important! You have to see this!" I opened my eyes to see the red curly hair of my best friend Ally.

  I sighed and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "What's so important?" I asked, my throat dry. I ran my tongue over my dry, cracked lips, trying to return moisture into them.

  Ally grabbed my hand. "Come on," she said. "I have to show you." She pulled me out of the guest bedroom in her house, and down the stairs to the computer in her living room. I could see iTunes had been pulled up.

  "I still don't see what the big deal is." I said.

  She just sighed and rolled her eyes. "Look," she said, pointing at the computer screen. "Look at what the number one single on iTunes is!" I looked. Sure enough, my first single off my newest, soon-to-be-released album had reached number one on iTunes, and it had only been out for ten minutes.

  I looked at the computer screen for a bit. "Cool." I said. "I'm gonna go sleep now."

  "Wait, what!" Ally said in shock. "You reach your first number one single on the Billboard Hot 100 and all you say is, cool! You should be celebrating!"

  I turned over my shoulder and looked at her. "I'll celebrate tomorrow." I said. I continued to walk up the stairs to the bedroom. I forgotten that we were releasing my song "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" tonight. 

  When I reached the room, I tried to fall asleep, but I just couldn't. Just knowing I had a number one single made me ecstatic, even though I tried not to show it.

  I eventually got up and decided to go for a walk. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a blue drawstring hoodie, so I could hide my face from any unexpected paparazzi.

  I pulled my hood over my head and started to walk down the quite, dark neighborhood. That's when I heard a click and a flash of light go off. I turned around, scanning for paparazzi. I didn't see any so I continued to walk down the road pulling the strings to my hoodie.

  Then I saw another flash. Then another one, and another one, and another one. Before I knew it I was surrounded by paparazzi. They started to yell questions at me like, "Lizzie! Did you know that 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' is number one already?" "Lizzie, is it true that you lost your virginity to Taylor Lautner?" "Lizzie! When are you going to start dating again?" 

  I ignored all of the questions and continued to push through them. Suddenly I broke through them and started sprinting, the paps still following me. I took a quick turn down an alleyway between two of the houses on the block. I stood against the wall, my heart racing, praying they wouldn't find my hiding spot.

  Eventually, after what felt like hours, all of them left. I sighed and leaned my head against the house. I started to feel rain falling on my shoulders, but I didn't care. 

  Welcome to the hectic, unpredictable life of me, Elizabeth Seagate.