Chapter one

....
2:13pm

"Why did we even come here today? Like I know it was my idea and all but holy shit, what a stupid idea!" Lily whines as she adjusts her beach bag.

"Lily, it's the beach. I know its hot that's why we get into the water to cool off, that's the point." I am so fed up. She does this all the time. Lily makes a plan and then complains when we follow through with it. I struggled for thirty minutes to find a parking spot, there's no way in hell she can complain that its too 'hot'.

"Yeah yeah. I see a spot!" Lily walks faster past me on the sand and puts her bag down, pulling out a long bamboo beach mat for us to sit on. I take a second to catch up and put my bag down on the mat next to her. The beach looks too busy for 2pm on a Tuesday.

"So," long pause as Lily pulls her sunglasses onto the top of her hair, "...you gonna tell me what happened between you and Matty?" Lily gives me a smirk. I let out a hefty sigh. "I honestly don't know how to answer that, because I don't even know what happened myself." I explain in frustration. People running past us with a soccer ball and it ends up being kicked very close to my face.

"Hey! Can't you see we're sitting here, assholes!" Lily jumps up and throws the soccer ball back at them. One of the guys who was in the group caught it and apologized, they walked away and kept looking back. Lily sits back down obviously already annoyed over the heat and on top of that from those guys not watching where they were kicking the ball. She sits and huffs, "that guy was cute, too bad he was an asshole." I look at Lily and roll my eyes. It's really not that serious.

"Anyway, continue about Matty. What do you mean you don't know how to answer my question? What happened? Did you guys hook up? Did you guys have a falling out? What went down?" Lily runs through her questions.

"Ha, okay. First of all can we do one question at a time? That's how a conversation works, idiot." I tease her and push her slightly.

"Oh don't be a dick! Tell me! Spill!" She sits back up quickly pushing me back playfully.

"Okay, okay. Well everything was going great until he told me his ex was back in his life." I bring my knees close to my chest and lay my cheek on my knees, looking at Lily. Lily gave me a look of confusion.

"How long has he been seeing her?" Lily is now completely facing me.

"I don't have any idea. He hit me with this information about a week ago out of nowhere. I was honestly so crushed because of how much he told me about her. About her cheating, her ghosting him when they were together, and just overall being the most toxic person. Lily I'm never going to find love!" I extend my legs back out and lay on the bamboo mat. Lily sighs, "That's so... thats so scummy of him just to drop you for his cheater ex girlfriend... Also, don't be dramatic, you're 21 and you still have time to find someone worth while." I sigh.

"Can we just go swimming?" Lily smiles and nods. We take off our shorts and tops to reveal our swimsuits and rush towards the water.

Lily has been my best friend since freshman year of high school. We met while she was defending me against some brat junior that wouldn't leave me alone and I admired Lily ever since. She is always there for me as I am for her. We have been inseparable since then.
....
3:30pm

"Come look at these! They're so cute!" Lily shoves these novelty shells in my face.

"Yeah Lily sooo cute, c'mon can we go to Sand Cliff Cafe? I am in dire need of some caffeine." I roll my head back and grab her arm. She giggles and gives in and puts down those damn shells. I grab her hand and as I turn around, I walk straight into this six foot four maybe six foot six guy.  I turn red and I apologize for not looking where I was going. He smiles and looks into my eyes. His eyes are the grayest of grays I have ever seen. So light on the outside of his iris and darker as it meets the pupil. He is dressed in a long sleeve with loose black jeans and some black Doc Martens. I stutter and freeze trying to apologize again so I can leave. His teeth are so white and perfect and his smile curves into perfect form. His hair is black with slight curls and its medium length. My heart drops when he opens his mouth to speak.

"It's okay, are you okay?" He smiles and doesn't break eye contact. His voice is so deep yet soft its scary.

"I uh, I'm fine, I just feel bad for not watching where I was going." I look to Lily and she's enjoying my pain. She hides a smile behind her small hand. He notices how embarrassed I'm becoming as each second passes. He steps to the side to let me and Lily walk by. I grab Lily's hand again and we quickly walk out of the novelty shop.

"What the hell was that!" Lily exclaims trying not to laugh for her own amusement. I quickly rush away from the shop, Lily can catch up if she wants to.

"I don't know he was very pretty and made me nervous!" I shrug and continue walking fast.

"Okay slow down we are so far from the shop now, coffee shop is to the right anyway."

"Right."
....
4pm

"I think I just burned my tongue." Lily winces in pain as she looks down at her cup. I dont even acknowledge what she's saying right now. The more I think about it the more I realize how familiar that boy looked to me, like it was deja vu.

"Hey. Im still here can you dream about mystery man once you're home, thanks." Lily says sarcastically.

"It's.. yeah sorry. He just looked familiar to me." I run my finger on the rim of my ceramic coffee cup thinking harder each time his face pops into my mind. "Almost as if I have seen him before.. like at the mall, or a grocery store, or maybe in my dreams or something dramatic like that, you know?" I look up at Lily with focused eyes.

"Hmm, him being in your dreams is a bit dramatic but I can't believe you wouldn't remember exactly when you've seen a handsome face like that before! Like how could you forget a man built like that?" Lily giggles and sips on her coffee again, keeping eye contact with me. I roll my eyes and look outside still wondering why I find him so familiar.