𝓐 𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓣𝓸 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮 - Daryl Dixon x GN!Reader

[ seasons ??? ]

[ seasons ??? ]

—————

Droplets of water drummed gently against his scarred back, dribbling down his skin in an ever so slow pace, rinsing the mixing colors of red and brown off his body. He stood still, completely submitting himself against your hold around him, his head buried deep against your bare shoulder, trying not to lull himself into slumber.

The feeling of nimble fingers grazing through his dirt-littered tresses provided him comfort through the throbbing pain of his wounds, temporarily easing him off of his worries. The touch was tender, and it was enough to make him feel all sorts of warm, butterflies raging violently in the pit of his stomach.

Never has he felt so important in his damn life.

Despite this, he still made sure to keep his eyes directed solely to the ground, focusing on nothing but the gentle melodies that you're humming right by his ears, enjoying it in silent bliss.

There was nothing more relieving than having your presence near him — pressed so closely against each other without fear of ever getting caught. It was simple, but for him it was heaven, and nothing could ever change his mind.

"Daryl? Can I wash your back for you? D'ya want me to?" The softness of your voice vibrates idly against his middle.

Could he ever really bring himself to say no?

".. Ya' could, but I.. don't really wan' move." He mumbles against your skin, quiet and tired, his energy was nothing but drained. He's had a long day and you knew.

You always do.

A sweet chuckle was all he heard after his request, almost causing his knees to buckle on the spot.

"Alright, Daryl." He felt soft lips pressing against the side of his head, lingering for a moment before pulling back. "Just tell me if it hurts, okay?"

Soothing were your words, and his shoulders slacks down in relaxation. "Mhm."

Warmth swelled across his chest, and the sound of his pounding heart drowned the constant pitter-patter of the water. Your hands burned his skin with every swipe, leaving gnawing prickles against his pained flesh. Shivers ran down his spine as your fingers trailed through his many scars, running liquid dancing around the tip of your fingers. He fought the urge to pull away like he usually would have, holding the flesh of your waist to keep him steady through his inner dilemmas.

No, damn it, he wanted this; he was sure he did. He wanted to show you that he trusts you. He wanted to let you know that you're important to him. He wanted—

"Daryl?"

His scattered thoughts were brought to a halt as your voice broke through his running mind. The motion of your palms froze, now settling themselves on his shoulders as you pulled him back to face you. Your brows were scrunched together, worried and confused, while your eyes bore against his own.

"You're shaking." You said, bringing a palm up on his wet cheeks, gingerly holding him like he was about to break into a million pieces. "Do you want to get out of the shower? I don't want you getting sick."

More and more, the stream of water continuously poured down his face as he stared you down, looking up at him with big, troubled doe eyes.

Troubled, but patient.

He brings his chapped lips together to a thin line. "Naw, 'm fine." He replies a mumble, soft but a lot louder than the one before. "Wanna.. wanna spend time with ya' a little more." He bites the bottom of his lips. "If.. if that's a'right with ya'."

The look on your eyes inwardly causes Daryl to melt against your hands, gradually letting himself grow putty in your loving embrace — relishing it and its tranquillity, ridding all his worries away in one glance of your blithe filled face.

"Of course, anything you want."

If he could stay in your arms forever, he would. The sheer power you had over him was enough to keep him grounded and sane, luring him out of those undying thoughts of madness with your graceful glow. You were the only one capable of keeping him in place, unmoving — at peace; resting without a reason to keep moving, without a reason to fear. He was set, and worrying about anything was pointless.

You were important.

He wanted to let you know that.

There was nothing else he could ask for.

He's got you, and a lot of time to love.

———