Tightrope (prologue)

You could say that our lives growing up were not...normal. Well, very not normal. My brother's and I were simply our father's puppets. Of course, children need to be guided, taught what is right and what is wrong, and told what to do...but all our decisions we're made for us. Everything was decided. What our futures held was decided for us.I thought I knew how my life was going to go. I thought I had it all planned out. Leave school, continue fluffing my duties to king and country, maybe marry one day, have a child or two...I was wrong. Leo, my eldest brother was going to take the throne, he was going to rule after my father stepped down but...that's not what happened. Instead, Leo abdicated, and so my second eldest brother, Liam, took over, and then, a few months into his reign, he left too. Stepped away from the throne, from his duties as ruler for a girl. For the love of his life and that leaves us here...

Liz sighed, looking over the pages in her diary. She placed down her pen and shut the book, rubbing her temple. She's watched people rule, her father, her brother, even if it was only for a short while, and they made it look much easier than actually is. Everyone moment of everyday, somebody demanded Liz's attention. Singing paperwork, working on trade deals, singing off of things for events, and whatever else somebody wanted. This was never supposed to be her responsibility in the first place. She's dedicated to her country, however, she was never supposed to rule it. It's funny how things work out in the end.

The pressure was great and Liz was beginning to buckle under the weight of it.

Yes, she saw the stress in her brother and father, when they ruled, she knew that it wasn't all just balls, but they all had someone to rule alongside. Their most trusted advisor beside them. Liz doesn't. She'd said time and time again that being forced into a loveless marriage would never become her reality. The one thing that Liz just very must admire about her brother, was that he followed his heart, which was something she was too terrified to pursue.

Liz was pulled from her thoughts by, yet another person, knocking on her study door. "Come in!" Liz called.

The knocking stopped and the door was pushed open. Marie, a petite, browned haired, blued eyed, freckly woman peered in, anxiety etched across her face.

"Your majesty," she said, leaning into a curtsy. Liz looked up from the desk, the new assistant able to see the stress on her face. The young woman swallowed thickly.

"What is it, Marie?" The Queen encouraged.

"He called again. He'd like to know if you'd talk to him."

Liz rolled her eyes. "I know I told you not to mention his name but that was only because I was...angry with him. With them both. There's no need to be cryptic."

Marie nodded in response, clearing her throat. "Yes, Your Majesty. Would you...like me to give him a call tell him?"

Liz thought over her words. Yes, she needed to speak with him. She wouldn't be able to stay mad at him forever, and she'd never been one to hold a grudge. There was no turning back time, this was now her reality. Moving forward was the best way to get through this. The truth was she needed help.

"Yes. Please, do. I'd like to see him," Marie promptly excused herself, leaving the Queen in her study to mull over her decision. Was it the right one?

*******

The men's raised voice we're difficult to miss. The whole place was aware of the brewing argument. Liz padded down the corridor, down to her brother's study. The door was open just a crack, peering in she could see her brother, Liam, perching on the edge of his desk and Constantine pacing around him.