1

Temptations

Footsteps grew near as my shadow approached the dark hallway. Lights seemed so distant at this moment. My ears pounding from the rapid beating my chest built up. Running from your fears seems to be a common thing in this world. Things sometime don't show what really the cause is. Innocence is the major deal in the world of Earth. Things could always stay childlike if you keep your innocence. Children take it for granted. Something so easily lost by fear and confessions. He looked past his cup of coffee, steam hazing his face and eyes from what he thought at the moment. I wondered what his thoughts were, good or bad. I thought them for him. Making my life a living hell to not know a single emotion from him. I could feel him though. His frustrated aura consuming the room and the fire to the right of his desk. The flames moving sporadically in upward angles. I reverted my gaze back to his now gloomy look. His emotions change so fast. His cool exterior is now gone and replace with hatred. Not to me, but toward himself. I watched as my feet came an inch away from another pair of socks. Feet bouncing, he locked his arms around my waist. Kissed the side of my barely exposed stomach and laid his head there. I beg him silently to look up, move, do something. Instead he stayed still, blocking out my silent will. Kiss me. I thought. His face was in front of mine now. Hands wrapped gently on my neck, thumbs brushed against my pale skin behind my ears. Slowly taking in reality, he pulled away lazily. "I can't do this." he spoke huskily for the first time that night. Confusion plastered on my face was shown. I hadn't realized I was backing away until I hit the chair to the side and fell into its sheltering cushions. Comforting more than ever were the satin like feel of the seat covering. He slunked over and gradually fell to my level. "I'm sorry Amber, but I can't do... 'us' anymore", and just like that my temptation had yet again gotten the best of me. My heart, was ripped out of my chest and dropped on the floor crippling away into ashes.

Months had past since that fateful night of obliviousness I had of true love. Things like the perfect guy did not exist, even the perfect guy has his flaws. Mine were just to exposed to his, leading him array. The snow melted under the heat of New York's 40 degree weather today, leaving roads busy as ever. People brushed past me as I stood aimlessly in the middle of Town Square unaware of most violent things happening around me. The bank had just been robbed and the crooks were running my direction. They smashed into me and the impact woke me of my daydream. The dastardly deeds they did didn't amount to what they did next. My life, was literally at the fate of everyone around me in this park. As the guns barrel pressed its self against my head, I froze. Life didn't flash me though, like people usually say. This gave me some reassurance that maybe it's because I haven't turned the last page of my chapter book just yet. Screams were heard from many directions as everyone scattered among the fountains and trees. The man with the mask wrapped his arm around my waist as he tugged me along and got into an unmarked car. Other guys jumped in a second later and hit the road with speed. Minutes had passed by and silence was the only thing present. None of them removed their masked or talked. "Push or Keep?" said the guy holding my arms that were locked behind my back. The driver spoke "Toss her, we got plenty of other women home", and with that the door slid open and I smacked into the concrete road busting my shoulder while rolling out to the side of the street. No cars were anywhere by, none passing through. The silence was almost deafening except for the slight cicada in the distance. The repeated electric shock in my shoulder was knocking out my hearing in my right ear, and it started to fuck with me a bit. I thought I heard cars and turned and saw nothing just the same loomy old road in the middle of the woods. Fuck, I thought as I saw no charge on my cellphone. Standing up slowly I walked the yellow lines of the dark path and hoped for luck. My thought were the only loud thing now in the world to me, and the worst thing to me at this point in time.

Love isn't as it seems. Love goes for the kill, almost every time. You know you've fallen when you finally hit the floor. You know you haven't fallen out of love with someone when you actually fall and through it all, your thoughts wander to him. That sickening clench in your stomach when you know that no matter how much you hope, he won't come back for you. The careless ways of human beings. It's a cruel world, Earth.