Chapter Twenty-Seven

True to Faeore’s vision,word has spread like wildfire about Kennah’s doom. My heart sinks at the thought of it, the thought that Redermarke is behind it all. I haven’t spoken to Alec yet, for I know the topic is a much too tender one to bring up. Though our wedding is just hours old, I cannot feel all the happiness I wish to feel. A weight has fallen on my shoulders since hearing of the news, and I suspect the weight hangs even heavier on Alec.

I seek Uncle first. I find him in the throne room, sipping on his wine from his finest cup of pure steel.

‘I assume you’ve already heard the news,’ I say, bowing before him.

He waves the gesture off with the graceful sway of his hand. ‘Come now, you know you do not need to bow to me.’ He snaps. ‘And yes, indeed I have. The kingdom is buzzing with it.’

I step closer, cautiously, for I know that what I am about to ask for is more than what any creature of Meyn would dare.

‘We must send them aid, Uncle.’

He sits back on his throne, disinterested. ‘Must we?’ he dismisses his own comment with a growl. ‘Of course,’ he corrects himself, ‘Send aid where aid is due. But you will do so without any involvement of my men.’

My blood boils. ‘What?’

‘If you wish to send aid to Kennah, I have no objection. But whatever aid you summon will not be at my expense.’ He replies coldly.

This isn’t like him.

‘If we do nothing, they will die!’ I exclaim, tightening my hands into fists.

He leans forward and I cannot believe the words I hear him say. ‘Then so they shall.’

His bitterness angers me more than ever before. I fall to my knees. ‘Uncle please! Show them mercy...’

He stands suddenly, his rage channelled in his voice. ‘To live under the mercy of a King is not an act of kindness, Skaya, but an act of indebting one man to another. I shall not have it, not in my Kingdom.’

I weep now. I cannot control my tears at all, and I don’t even try to. ‘So you’re just going to sit here and drink your wine and sing your songs while innocent people burn along with what’s left of their kingdom?’

He sighs and kneels before me, tucking his hand under my chin. I look into his eyes and for the first time, I do not see anything.

‘I understand that your relationship with Alec justifies your concern and perhaps your anger, but I cannot offer you my help. If it is to be your choice, it will have to be at your own expense.’

Something swirls inside me, a tornado of emotions. ‘If you can read the lines of my face,’ I snap, ‘Read them now and tell me what you see.’

His stare lingers along the corners of my eyes. ‘Sadness,’ he says, ‘Disdain, anger,’ he pauses on the last one, ‘Resentment.’ He sighs finally and stands again. ‘Has it come to this, Skaya?’

I nod bitterly. ‘It has.’

‘Then I will go,’ A voice calls into the momentary silence. A chill spills down the back of my neck, my spine. I whip my head around to find the source of bravery.

‘Alec, no!’ I yell back.

He shakes his head. ‘They are my people, Skaya. I must save them. No-one else will.’

Xertormei leaps between us. ‘You cannot leave on the eve of your own wedding!’ he shouts, ‘I will not allow it.’

Alec stands firm. ‘It doesn’t matter whether you allow it or not,’