𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

THE CHICAGO AIR WAS brisk against the bare skin of Connor's face as he stepped out of the hospital, a shaky sigh escaping his lips. People were still rushing in and out of the emergency room, all kinds of illnesses and injures making it their stop. Just that day, Connor had found himself helping out on cases where the father of the house had been climbing a ladder to put up the Christmas-decorations. If he had to be honest, he couldn't understand it. As a child, he loved Christmas, but then again — as a child, he was living a free life free of concerns.

He lifted a beanie to his head, pulling it down over his ears, noticing how Will Halstead had stepped out on the curb next to him. "Hey man," he chuckled, a small smile tugging on the corners of Will's lips, as he breathed in the cold Chicago-air. "Rough night?"

"Pretty normal. I mean, if we ignore the fact that every emergency-case was related to Christmas-decorating, something we don't get a lot of during the other seasons, that is," Connor shrugged, shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his jacket. "You know, I can't believe how people are willing to risk their lives in order to put up a few blinking lights on their houses."

"You and me both, Con," Will shook his head. "I guess it's what you can call the Christmas spirit."

               The silence fell over them as they stood there, patiently waiting for nothing in particular, on the curb outside the hospital. A light layer of snow was covering the ground, an equally light amount of snow still falling from the sky, as it gently decorated the two doctors' fringes. Will found himself shooting another glance over at Connor, noticing how he had leaned his head back, taking in the dark sky above their heads. "Con, I'm heading to Molly's for a drink," Will started speaking. Connor remained in his position, though turned his eyes towards his friend, a small smile tugging on his lips. "I definitely understand if you don't want to come, or if you've got something else on your schedule, but — quite frankly, it would be nice to catch up with you."

               Connor looked thoughtful, before letting a sigh escape his lips. "Thank you, Will, but I think I'll have to pass. Considering I have to be back, ready for work, at seven tomorrow morning, I better head home and be lazy."

"That's alright," Will nodded, smiling softly as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "Well, good night, Connor. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Good night, Will."

Connor turned, gaze following Will's back as the doctor walked off towards his car, making Connor sigh once again. Deciding it was time to head home, he turned, heading in the opposite direction. The streets of Chicago were packed with people heading home from work, men in shirts and ties grumbling a few half-hearted 'excuse me's as they pushed through the many people sharing the sidewalk with them, rushing off to a dinner. It wasn't even December, yet Connor could see children running down the sidewalk with ridiculous Christmas-sweaters, and reindeer-antlers on their beanies.

               A part of him wanted to smile, laugh — share the joy with these young humans, but he couldn't get himself to. Ever since he was a kid, Christmas had become somewhat of a popularity contest. Not because he wanted to, but because his friends in school always competed about getting a gift that was better than anything Connor had recieved. Due to this, he had grown to dislike, somewhat even resent, the Christmas holiday.

Shortly after, he found himself walking the hall down to his condo, passing by closed door after closed door. The door next to his, on the other hand, was open, a woman rushing in and out, her arms full of various decorations. Connor furrowed his brows, slowing his pace as he watched her emerge from her doorway.

               "Christmas came early around here?"

               She turned, a sheepish smile spreading on her lips as she saw Connor standing in the hallway, the light shining off his raven black hair, and a curious look on his face. "Eila, come on," Connor shook his head a little, fumbling with the keys in his hand. "It looks like Rudolf literally puked in the hallway. How do you even manage to do this every year?"

Eila shrugged, looking down at the decorations. They were far from a lot, or even extreme, but they were cute. They reminded her of home. "I guess it's just a nostalgic feeling, bringing back fond memories. I've noticed, however, that your entrance is as dull and boring as ever," she countered, raising an eyebrow as she looked at him. "Need any help with you decorations, Connor? Or, wait — I'm sure the inside of your apartment is like a winter wonderland, but that wouldn't add up to your big, tough surgeon-guy reputation."

Chuckling, Connor shook his head again. "Oh trust me, you've got me all wrong." He rolled his eyes as he moved past her, his keys creating a small jingle that echoed through the hall. "Christmas is, well — how would a Brit say it? Not my cup of tea."

Eila stifled a chuckle as she heard the ridiculous British accent her neighbor adapted, before picking up a snowman from her pile of smaller decorations. "Con, you should have something, at least. It'll liven up the hallway, and people will smile more," she smiled, reaching her hand towards him. Eila noticed how his blue eyes darted between herself and the tiny, decorative snowman in her hand.

"Thank you," Connor started, pausing to let out a sigh. "But alas, no thank you. It's not my cup of tea, Eila, I'm sorry."

"Give me twenty-four days."

Connor raised an eyebrow as he looked at her, realizing that she appeared to be just as surprised as he was. "Twenty-four days for what exactly?" Connor questioned, a puzzled look slipping onto his face as he watched Eila desperately try to come up with an answer ( an answer that did not seem or sound too stupid ).

"I'll show you the good sides of Christmas." She finally managed to stutter, making a smile spread on Connor's face. Eila realized he was thinking of it as a funny thing, nothing he would want to be serious about. "Connor, you're an adult. One day, you'll find a woman to settle down with, start a family with. How on Earth are you going to tell your future kids no when it comes to celebrating Christmas?"

"I would never refuse to let someone celebrate," Connor shrugged, finding himself in a situation where he was struggling for words. "Eila, I think you're misunderstanding — my personal feelings for the holidays have nothing to do with my respect for other peoples' wishes and traditions."

It was rare; Connor Rhodes didn't seem to find himself in a situation where he felt an explanation for his words or actions to be necessary when outside work. Yet, here he stood, feeling the need to explain himself as he watched a victorious smile spread across Eila's lips.

"I'll take that to be a confirmation of my booking with you for the coming Christmas-month," she chuckled happily, watching as Connor resigned, accepting the snowman. "Don't worry, Grinch. We'll make your heart grow three sizes this Christmas."