Food Culture in Scandinavia

By Jeffrey Whalen Yorktown

A very interesting people the Scandinavians are, the culture captures a very rich and proud history to prosperous and beautiful lands scattered around great Seas and Oceans. Scandinavians take great pride in a culture which is only matched by their glorious history and Viking ancestors.

Either it is as a result of an old or symbolic relationship they share with the sea, or because of their sometimes larger-than-life beliefs, the Scandinavian people has always had a peculiar food cultures and culinary styles.

Wonderful Scandinavian cuisines you should try

An important aspect of Scandinavian dishes is that they are very simple meals. Lovers of Scandinavian Cuisines like Jeffery Whalen from Yorktown reckon that unlike their European neighbors, Seafood is very prominent in their dishes and cuisines, and this is a primary reason why Scandinavian foods are not overcooked.

· Surstromming

Like most Scandinavian dishes, seafood is at the center of this dish, it literally means Picked herring. Boiled potatoes, chives and lots of cream go with the herring to bring forth a delicious dish. The best part is that there are lots of flavors it can come in, and this is one special treat for you.

· Pulsa

This literally translates to Scandia hotdogs, and just like the hotdogs we know, they are extremely yummy especially when in sandwiches. You should not miss out on these if you are in proximity of a Scandinavian restaurant.

· Gravlax

Fish, fish, and more fish, whoever says these people are tired of fish. This is another delicious meal, which comprises of salmons that are sliced thinly. A few sprinkled salt and sugar later; you will be munching on a tasty meal. Besides, rye bread and potatoes are good options to go with this meal.

· Smorrebrod

One of the most delightful (yeah, permit me) of all Scandinavian foods, this food is a combination of fresh fish, meats, spreads and salads. Most times, cheese and pate is added to the combo. It is a version of bare sandwich. This dish will leave you amazed at what Scandinavians can achieve with seafood and meat.

· Pea Soup

Pea soup will leave you savoring the aftertaste of the meal. Apart from the fact that it is made from fruit soup, it is also one of the most popular soup found in Sweden, and it is made from peas and bacon.

· Smoked Salmon

With a region that has lots of sea boundaries, you cannot fault this people with fish. This delicacy is mostly served with scrambled eggs or made into sandwiches. Whichever way, this is one of the biggest export foods of the region.

· Kottbullar

You will never know how delicious meatballs taste until they are mixed in creamy sauce and eaten with boiled potatoes. This special meal is very delicious and a good staple amongst the Scandinavians.

· Glogg

This is a popular punch in Scandinavia; it is made with other strong drinks like wine/brandy, then sherry, almonds and raisins. The drink is brewed for merrier times like Christmas and after dinner festivities in Scandinavia, and need I not say, a very strong drink.

Jeff Whalen encourages you to visit his favorite Scandinavian cooking shows .

The Beauty in Scandinavian foods

It is a fact that a large constituent of Scandinavian foods are natural food elements like Seafood, meats, potatoes and spices. Scandinavian households have gardens for most of the herbs and spices they use in their foods and processed foods make for little appearance on their menu. This is a big reason why Scandinavian delicacies were favorites for Jefferey Whalen all the way in Yorktown.

Apart from these listed above; here are other things you will enjoy about the Scandinavian food culture

ü The meals are simple are symbolic

Scandinavians (usually refer themselves as Vikings) favor simple meals which make the body lighter and merrier. With a good percentage of their meals coming from seafood, and primary vegetables, these meals are also easily digestible.

ü They have one of the healthiest diets in the world

Scandinavians do not necessarily overcook their foods; in fact, some of their foods are eaten almost raw. Overcooking meals ruins the nutrients and taste of foods, and most often such foods are bad for the health. Foods that appear in Scandinavian menus are mostly low in fatty compounds, and provide good supplements to the body.

ü Wide choice of cuisines available

Food choice is one thing Jeffery Whalen never had to worry about; you can never be short of choices with Scandinavian cuisines. Scandinavians are very passionate about their food culture, and have improved on these over the years with continuous inventions on mouth-watering cuisines. There are hundreds of different cuisines, from simple soups to banquets consisting of seafood and meat available

Food Culture in Scandinavia by countries

A lot of beautiful lands make up the Scandinavian region; the mainland of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and in a wider extent; Finland, Iceland and Greenland. Although they have a shared and intertwined history, there are slight cultural differences in their culinary preferences. This change is mostly subtle and will only be noticeable to one who is highly knowledgeable about the Scandinavian cuisines.

Denmark

This is the home of fish meals, and other seafood. Fish is the chief constituent of Danish cuisines, and it is generally served with potatoes, sandwich and eggs. The marzipan and smorrebrod are typical cuisines of the Danish people.

Norway

Primarily similar to their neighbors, fish is a major constituent of their diet also; from the Lutefisk, to the Smoked salmons, and on the list goes. The Norwegian herring, clipfish, stockfish are the commonest fish you will find in this region.

Sweden

Here we find a bit more of red-meat eating Scandinavians compared to other countries; deers, Elks, and Antelopes are the primary source of meat. Kottbullar, Minced Pork and other red-meat dishes are the popular cuisines in this country together with other cuisines made of fish.

Finland

Finnish cuisines are primarily based on red-meat also; Pierogis, Cloudberry sauce are some of the popular cuisines in this region. Nevertheless, other foods like Fish, potatoes and vegetables are still very prominent in their meals.

Conclusions

No matter your reservation on the Scandinavian cultures, their foods will amaze you. No matter where you find yourself, you should always visit Scandinavian restaurants and try the cuisines on their menu!

Heights, NY with his wife and two sons. He grew up in Katonah, NY. Jeffrey Whalen graduated from John Jay High School in Cross River, NY. He went on to Boston, MA to receive dual undergraduate degrees in performance and music education from Berklee College of Music. Friends in high school and college affectionately called him "Al". also earned a master's degree in performance with a concentration in jazz at SUNY Purchase College in Purchase, NY.