Chapter 5

That night they counted down to the new year and as every number passed, Eric felt more pressured.

He didn't want to lose everything, but he knew he would if he didn't start making changes now.

As they reached zero, Eric, who was sitting next to Karen outside on the patio while the children stood a bit further waiting for the fireworks, grabbed Karen's hand and looked at her with desperation and regret.

"I promise to make this right," he swore. "I'm so sorry for everything," he said sincerely, his voice small and scared as he held his breath, waiting for Karen's reaction.

Karen, who had just been staring at him blankly sighed deeply after some thought and spoke up.

"You don't get another chance, remember that," she replied sternly, turning her gaze away.

"I will," he promised with determination.

With the new year finally here, the next day they packed their things to leave the day after.

"You sure you guys have everything?"

"Yes, mom."

"Then let's go."

Leaving the chalet, they were taken to the nearest airport and returned to London, then home.

As the car pulled up in the driveway of their big home, they exited their car and Eric's phone began to ring.

Hearing the sound of his phone, Karen couldn't help but dread what was going to happen next.

"Hello?" he answered a sensation of dread filling him when he saw that his workplace called him.

"Sir, we need you to come back to the company right now."

Eric groaned. "Can't it wait?" he asked, impatient and tense as he awaited his employee's response.

"No, there was a problem with the deal made with our latest client and they aren't happy."

"Seriously!?" he shouted, knowing he wouldn't be able to avoid doing what he didn't want to do.

"Yes. They're requesting to see you now."

Eric sighed. "Alright. I'll be right there," he said, giving in reluctantly.

Hanging up, Eric sighed, then looked at Karen, who was looking at him.

"I'm sorry, but I need to go," he said, dejected and nervous about her reaction.

"Sure. I'll take your stuff for you," she replied calmly, reassuring and scaring Eric at the same time.

Unaware of that, she took his suitcase and began walking away before he grabbed her wrist.

"Wait!" he pleaded, feeling guilty and scared.

Surprised, Karen stopped in her tracks and looked at him. "What?"

Eric gulped. "I love you." he declared confusing her a little. "I'll make sure to call you as soon as I can," he promised.

"Alright," she said calmly, still not 100% reassuring Eric that that's how she really felt, but he chose to believe in her words.

Pressed for time, Eric kissed her and said goodbye to the girls before heading off to work.

After getting to work, the decision for Eric to go to America to sort out the problem with the clients personally was made pretty quickly, and dreading that this would ruin everything, he called Karen.

"Hey. Could you pack me a suitcase?" he asked sounding guilty. "I'll come to pick it up once I'm done here."

Karen frowned a bit. "Okay, but why?" she asked uneasily.