eight

AFTER PACING AROUND the living room for what seemed like hours, Leyla stood in front of the large windows that overlooked the vast night skyline. The buildings lit up beautifully, each light sizing up to the ever-glowing stars in the night sky.

She pulled the ring back and forth her finger, over and over as she racked her brain for answers, realistic ones.

Yusef's words buzzed around, irking her as they poked her every now and then. Could he be right after all?

She couldn't take it anymore and stared at the large wall clock from the corner of her eye, it was ten-thirty.

Exchanging the slippers on her feet for light grey slip-ons, she tugged a latte brown sweater on and slipped the keys into the large pocket. She clipped her hair away with a small silver hair accessory that her mother had gifted, her while she locked the door.

Leyla walked past the shiny, silver doors of the elevator as they dinged and rushed down the stairs, skipping steps to reach the garage quicker.

Slamming the car door shut after herself, Leyla rolled her lips in, contemplating her decision but shook all doubts away as she began to reverse out of the parking lot. The neighborhoods and trees slowly faded into large buildings and skyscrapers that varied in design, width and height.

"Incoming Call: Matt F." The robotic voice from the Bluetooth system alerted Leyla as she pressed the accept button on her steering wheel.

"Hey Leyla! I hope you're not busy with work," his voice floated around her. She felt a light wave of guilt ebb over her because she hadn't called him over the past two days, owing to all the chaos that had encased her.

"Hi, I'm sorry I didn't call. I was quite busy and no, not really I was just stopping by dad's office."

"That's great, so... there's this place right by my house, actually and I was wondering if you'd want to maybe go there for breakfast tomorrow? I can pick you up if you want?"

Cars slowed down and tires crunched over the gravel as Leyla glanced around at the traffic, grimacing.

"I would love that, Matt." She answered with a slight smile.

A few sweet and soft words were exchanged along with the occasional sarcasm before they were bidding each other goodbye.

━━━━ ☆ ━━━━

Leyla patted herself on the back for not wearing her heels as she padded across the polished marble floors.

Feeling oddly paranoid, she turned around and surveyed the empty lobby where the lights were dimmed down like an ex-vigilante. A few security guards were scattered in various areas, each stationed strategically to not let unwanted visitors in.

One of them smiled at her as she nodded in acknowledgment and turned back. Slowly shutting her eyes, Leyla exhaled before opening them back again.

With her back straight and a determined shine in her eyes, Leyla picked up her pace; which was somewhere between a run and a walk. Grasping her phone, she put it on silent and switched off the vibration as well.

A focused Leyla reached the elevator doors but frowned at her distorted reflection and after much contemplation and ran towards the stairs, rushing each step.

Surprising her own-self at the speed and large number of steps, she stood very anxiously at the entrance of the hallway.

'You can do this, if you've done this much and come so far you can do more. Hadi Leyla, haydi.' She thought to herself whilst biting her lips and praying a silent prayer.