Escape from the Council

The book was a huge hit. Everything I needed was there. Her name, where she lived, what kind of magic she did. This was a great start to journey I expected to be long. Unfortunately, while I was reading I had forgotten about the fights I had during the day, with Maddy and Mom. It was dark now and Dad was probably home. Mom would have told him what happened, and I was in my room. Looking back this was one of the greatest and worst days of my life.

           How was I supposed to get out this one. I was beginning to be portrayed as a backstabbing, lying, rule breaking, adolescent. I had always been know to do some stupid things, but you could trust me, I had never been know as the kind of person I was turning out to be. Was I becoming the real me? Was this me? Am I going to live alone, with no one? What was to be done.

             I had maybe an hour to dinner at seven, always at seven. Mom was very punctual, once she got into a routine it was harder to break it then growing a rock. There was no chance of my fights not coming out. If I had just kept my mouth shut to Maddy and Mom I wouldn't be in this, but it's too late for that, what had been done was done. No going back now. I would just have to play it by ear. Now was a good a time as ever to move forward with making a new plan.

              The witch now lived high in the mountains in a deep black cave. But not any cave, in the cave was were the water that flowed all the way to the little stream. The book said I should bring something of worth to her. But I had nothing of worth. No precious jewels or anything. I was just a girl, what could I possibly have to give the witch? I'll save that for a later thought. Identifying the cave before I actually spoke to the witch would be a good tactic. So I'll leave early tomorrow and search the higher part of the mountain's for a cave. When I did find the right one, if, I find the right one, what then. I don't have the slightest clue what to give her! What would she want, what would she find of with worth? Another thought to later.

            Time has passed me by surprise, before I could start to think to hard, there came sharp knock on the door.

            "Dinners ready," Dad's deep voice broke through. He didn't sound mad, but I also couldn't perceive any emotion. I don't know what which was worse. I would have to face my parents someday, might as well go in with my head held high and not give them anymore reason to rebuke me. I jumped up and headed straight for the kitchen.

            A wonderful smell hit me. It was batter fried chicken. My favorite. Mom would always make it for me when I had a bad day, and today was THE day of bad days. Maybe this meant she had forgiven me, or she wanted to to feel that she still loved me when she started yelling. I wouldn't be put off my guards though. I entered with a small innocent smile. Mom had her back turned attending to something on the counter. Dad was stacking chicken on his plate. It could have just been a normal evening if it wasn't for the tension. The air was thick with it, almost tangible. I hadn't expected it to be so tense, I wasn't sure what I did expect.

              I followed behind Dad and grabbed a of pieces chicken. I took my plate to the table. The table was a rectangle with one side up against the wall. Mom and Dad day on the end I sat right in the middle of them.  Once seated Mom and Dad made their way to the table.

              Once seated, we blessed the food and started eating. We eat on silence for who knows how long. It beginning to feel unbearable when Dad cleared his throat. Here we go.

              "So Nishka, how was your day?" Was it possible that Mom hadn't told him? Not likely, where was this going.

              "It was a day," I could hear my voice straining. I took a deep breath.