Chapter Eight: Into You

i'm so into you, i can barely breathe...

- into you  ariana grande

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the night of the crash

Mallory

My friend Cleo christened our hangout spot in Capricorn Woods 'the Lake' when we were fifteen. Three guesses on why we chose that particular name. Spoiler, it was because Capricorn Woods bordered the biggest lake in Merlot. It wasn't a very creative nickname, I know.

Conveniently, our group of friends drove right into the clearing because the woods were so sparse. Reid and Nick's cars were our current transport. Once we unpacked our camping stuff for the night, Cleo, Reid and Nick took charge of cooking and bonfire control. Tony was dancing with Cleo, and they were both laughing their arses off.

Meanwhile, I sat on Nina's collapsible loveseat with my knees drawn to my chest, thinking about how beautiful the sky looked at night. The constellations weaved their paths above us, transcending space and time. Our plan was to sleep under the stars. I couldn't think of a better way to spend our time.

"What are you thinking about?" Reid asked. He sat next to me on the loveseat, his dark eyes reflecting the light of the campfire.

I tore my eyes away from the sky to smile at my boyfriend, reaching out to play with his hair. "I'm thinking about how perfect you are." I considered my words, then shrugged. "Well, I wasn't really. But it's true."

Reid quelled my speech with a soft look, tucking a stray curl behind my ear. "It's funny that you're calling me perfect, considering you're the very definition of it."

I quirked an eyebrow at him. "You're smooth tonight. Got any other lines for me?"

"Are you kidding? I have a list committed to memory." Reid quipped, widening his eyes theatrically, and I laughed. He leaned back against the loveseat, letting out an awed sigh as he stared up. "Wow. Now I know what you were thinking about. It definitely wasn't me."

"That sounds a bit clingy." I teased him.

"If I sound clingy, it's because I've missed you for the past few weeks. We've been buried in finals." he complained.

"We also survived our first year of college. Take this time as our reward." I soothed him, snuggling against his shoulder. I felt Reid kiss my forehead, and I smiled into his shirt.

"About that," Reid began, moving to settle his head on my lap. His long legs dangled off the edge of the seat, but he didn't seem to mind. I placed my hands in his hair, wondering what he was talking about.

"What is it? You need to be somewhere?" I asked.

"Yeah, I need to pick something up. I'll be gone twenty minutes, max."

"Can I come with you?"

"No!" Reid said abruptly. I looked at him with wide eyes, then laughed, relaxing.

"Wow, okay. Are you going to be with your secret celebrity girlfriend?" I teased. But I was wondering what could evoke such a reaction.