Chapter Eighteen

Warnings: Mature, adult content, sensitive subject matter, language, violence, character death
__________________________________
Elena groaned as she rolled onto her stomach in her sleep. Not her brightest move. Trying not to put too much weight on her shoulder, she pushed herself off the bed - more than a little surprised to realize she was still unclothed. After one too many kids ended up with a stomach bug in the dead of night, she and Damon were faithful about making sure they were wearing something before they went to sleep. She pulled her robe over her shoulders as she slid out of bed - trying not to wake Damon.

"Are you alright?"

"Sorry. I didn't want to wake you."

He rolled onto his side to face her, and the moonlight streaming through the windows was bright on his face - one more reminder of how little time they had left. "I wasn't asleep." Listening to his voice, she realized he was telling the truth. He really had been awake. He reached out and took her hand. "Do you need something?"

"Just the bathroom." She tied the robe's belt around her waist as she plodded to their bathroom. Coming back to bed, she saw that Damon had taken the opportunity to put his boxers on. He held the sheets back to help her get back into the bed easier. She snuggled against his chest and used him as a pillow. He rested his hand on her arm and gently rubbed it up and down.

She tried to go back to sleep, but her mind was too busy. In less than 48 hours, this latest vampire chapter in her life would be over - one way or another. Her throat tightened and she struggled to swallow as she realized the implications of that fact.

"Can't sleep?" He whispered.

She shook her head and sighed as she clung more tightly to him.

"Need to talk?"

"I don't want to keep you up."

He laid his hand atop hers. "I haven't been asleep yet." He stared up at the ceiling. "You're not bothering me."

"It's almost over, and I'm so scared." She let out a gentle laugh. "Funny. Back in high school, when everything was happening. I remember being conflicted. I remember being worried, but I was never really afraid." She squeezed her arm around him. "But I am now."

"You were bad ass back then." He laughed into her hair. "You slapped me. You tried to throw Katherine out of your house. It's different now. You have more to lose."

She thought about Katherine's words in their living room and about how Josef had used the threat of hurting Claire against her in the woods. "I don't want the kids here tomorrow."

"What?"

Elena shook her head. "You heard Katherine's story. Josef said he'd hurt her brother and sisters if she resisted him. He threatened Claire. He's not afraid to hurt the people we love." She paused. "Katherine promised him the doppelganger. When he finds out I can't break the curse, he's going to come after the kids."

"As long as they're inside the house they're safe."

"It just takes one match." She remembered the night she'd stabbed Elijah. "Isobel and John said they want to help. I want them to take the kids away from here, not just Emma. All of them."

Damon was still debating their decision hours later. He'd never been separated from his family by choice...the nights Elena was in the hospital was different somehow...but he knew this was the right decision. If he knew his children were safe, well, he'd be prepared to do whatever he had to in order to make certain Josef never left the clearing when the time came.

"Surprise!" He forced an excited smile as he looked at the confused faces of his children. "How would y'all like to skip a few days of school?"

"We can't miss school." Brayden looked like Damon had just suggested they all jump off the roof.