Prologue {Edited}

"Elentiya, do you believe in faerytales?"
Carlisle's face was sullen, frightened. He peered over his shoulder, checking to see if they were alone. His younger sister was perched on his knee, eyes dilated in confusion. Of all the things she expected him to say, that certainly wasn't one. At first, she thought he was joking; her brother liked to joke, but when the same cold, dark expression remained on his face, it was clear he wasn't joking. She shook her head, perplexed.
"No. It would be foolish of me. I'm eleven now, i'm too old to believe in faerytales. Too old to believe in such nonsense." Sapphire frowned up at her older brother as he sighed in dismay. He pushed her off him abd stood, his golden-white hair glistening.
"It's true, the percentage of it anyway. Do you remember the story, about the sad faery... Valen I think her name was," She nodded and he continued, "They're real, fae. They aren't stories, Elentiya." He paused, sniffing the air like a hound. "You can see them, most of them, out of the corner of your eye. I don't know exactly, but mother was a faery, and she got sent away for marrying father. None of his family can see her. They think he was naive, they don't understand. Mother was a faery.. father wasn't"
That makes us... half faery?
When she was younger, she told Carlisle about seeing fae, but he had persuaded her it was just her imagination. He had lied to her, made her believe she was insane, countless times.
"Brother? That man has glowing tattoos! They move!"
"Don't be foolish Elentiya There's nothing there."
As if he read her mind, he spun to face her and whispered quietly "I did what I did to protect you. The only reason I'm telling you is because we're in danger. The faeries despise halflings like us. People who could put them in danger, who could tell mortals of them." His eyes were empty, showing no emotion.
"What do we do?" She said, eyes watering.
"Faeries chase. What do you do when someone chases you? You run."