Better

Y/N went back into her room after awhile. The topic of fighting had lingered on her mind. Y/N had always considered herself a fighter. She considered herself a survivor. She had gone through the cold of New York with no shelter, family or anyone all in search of the last family member she knew she could depend on.

Y/N made a fist to see what it would look like. She took out her thumb from inside the clenched hand- remembering something in one of Splinters lessons that she overheard. Mikey was being careless about something and forgot the basics of it. After Y/N fixed her hand, something still seemed wrong. Her hand did not look right. Nothing looked right.

Y/N decided to undress and take a look at herself.

The only opportunity she had to have done that before was at Aprils but it had not come to mind. She was more worried about being intrusive even though April insisted she wasn't- wow that girl is really nice.

The first thing off was a shirt April had given her. She took her hands and felt the tops of her shoulders first- they were so hard she felt numb. Her hands slid down to her chest- she laughed at the fact that she thought something would be there- then down to her ribs.

Her ribs expanded and shuddered but she knew she needed to continue. She had avoided knowing what she was in four months and she needed to know. She went down to her stomach.

It was not flat or sunken, or fatty. It could be described as normal if it wasn't for the scar a little bit above the space of her hip bone and pelvic bone. She always knew it was there and she knew she got it from something bad but her brain had not decided to reveal it to her yet.

She had had dreams about it like an accident in a car happening or suddenly being stabbed by an intruder. The worst one was she was tied for some reason and her own mom just looked at her and said,

"Don't you want me to be happy?"

Y/N swallowed bitterly. The more days that had passed since the earthquake, the more horrible things came to mind about her mom and Y/N did not want to see her mom that way. She wanted to remember her as a scent of laundry detergent. Something that cleans. Something that fixes.

Y/N quickly put back on her shirt. She would take off her pants of course, but she wasn't going to suddenly get to her body all in one.

Her legs had always been very small. Something that was fine in elementary school but became a crime entering high school. Now she wished she could go back to bullies and shit tests. It was better than worrying if she would see another day.

Her legs had also bruised more easily now.

She liked to keep them covered. She put back on the pants and turned on her side.

Then she pictured April. April was small like her-

"Knees are pinpricks"

Who was to say Raph is wrong? Maybe Y/N could fight. She wanted to feel strong, to feel more confident in herself and be ready for the worst.

Y/N couldn't contain her excitement. She opened her screen door.

Raph was not sitting in front of the TV anymore so Y/N assumed he had probably headed back his own room.

Wherever the hell that is-

She knew where Donnie and Mickey stayed so she avoided those two room and the dojo.

And as she approached the first door she felt like she was intruding.

Should she knock? If this was Leo and they were asleep, they might assume some weird shit.