Chapter 2- Get The Job Get what comes with it.

Chapter 2- Get the Job, Get what comes with it

He had locked me in the room, maybe thinking that some newborn like me could not break it down, or maybe expecting me to have half the mind not to. I banged my hand, weakly and silently against the door, angered but at the same time, increasingly confused. I didn't deny he would have killed me, that wasn't what bothered me, what did was his face when he first opened the door. Almost like he had planned out a a welcoming greeting only to be shut down with my own answer. It looked as if he expected me to leap into his arms, laughing like we'd known each other for years. And what he said:

We've met before.

That was obviously not true. I had never seen his face in my life, not even that smug attitude that crawled under my skin so easily. I wanted, for some reason, to annoy him the same way he could do to me, to prove my worth because so many thought I had none. I tried to mask my appearance, appear human, one of the small, less important reasons for this job, but I still had that grace and beauty, that unnatural quality humans seem to get when I was around them. And yet the butler here already had a contract with that watery soul and two servants who blindly trusted him. Now that, was masking yourself.

I waited patiently inside, blinking in the darkness that wasn't much like 'darkness' to me, but a normal room, completely clear to my eyes yet it would be nothing but shadows to humans. I wondered what the point of making contracts was for, why we wasted our time when we could so easily take their souls. The click of the door made me snap my head forward, curling anger suddenly returning. When Sebastian returned, I lunged forward only to be grabbed forcibly by my wrists, pulled upright. His face was close and his smirk only caused annoyance but as he stared at me, awaiting a reaction, his smirk slowly, slowly went away. Had he been expecting a human reaction?

I gave him a hiss and my legs struggled to tear my wrists back to my sides but he held too strongly even for my own power to take hold of it. I would roar had he not finally released me and tossed me backwards so my back hit the wall. He pressed closer again, trying to find another response in me but whatever he was looking for, I could and wouldn't offer it.

"Get off me you bastard!" I screeched and once again, he caught himself, stepping about three paces back before bowing, placing a hand perfectly over his heart.

"I'm terribly sorry, I mustn't forget my manners to a young lady." He looked up with rueful eyes and I felt irked, a small hesitation coming over me.

"I--"

"You must be the new maid then?"

I turned, much to my displeasure that I hadn't heard him despite my sensitive ears, Ciel Phantomhive, came striding in nonchalantly. He was shorter than I expected and the fact that his one eye was covered almost bothered me yet at the same time, made me want to rip it from his face and see what was underneath.

I would have made a face but seeing as how the butler was keeping up his perfect facade, I grabbed my dress skirt, bowed my head and curtsied. I had to be respectful, no matter how much older and stronger I was to this boy, he was, in fact, an earl.

"I'm sorry to have intruded, I thought I would be expected to work right away." I replied politely, head still lowered and eyes shut. Not until I heard him shuffle did I lift my head.

Sebastian was on his feet, tending to his master. I wondered if I shouldn't have applied for such a job, not when a man as disagreeable as Sebastian was here but then I felt I was suddenly losing, so maybe it was better I didn't. Not to mention why it was so overwhelming inside this one room, Ciel Phantomhive, just a child in my eyes, but then again, delicious on the other hand. I couldn't help that small tug to steal him despite how Sebastian would stop me before his master could even blink. Embarrassed almost of my thoughts, I tried and failed to shake them away.