༄9

༄༄༄
"Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew."
-Cicely Tyson
༄༄༄

"-Cicely Tyson༄༄༄

AEMIN

A tail. He has a tail. My cousin was talking to a boy who swims with turtles and has a tail.

"Okay, that's it," I say, kneeling down and covering my eyes. "It's finally happening."

"What's happening?" Rinae asks, tilting her head to the side.

"You've finally drove me crazy, Rinae," I continued, "And now I'm seeing things. Because there is no way that there's really a merfolk in front of me right now."

"I'm more worried I'm going crazy, because there's no way you're actually strong enough to just pull him out of the water like that-"

I tune her out, peeking my eyes open. He's trying to move, but isn't making very good progress because...he still has a tail.

"Oh...oh my god," I say, standing up and ogling at him. "He's a merfolk. Rinae, there's a merfolk sitting right there. A merman. A real, living merman. They're not legends."

"See, you're not crazy," Rinae says, patting my back. "The world just is."

"Okay, wait," I say, putting my hands on my head. "That means there's a whole society of them living underneath the ocean, just like in the legends. All those mysterious disappearances at sea, that was probably the work of sirens!"

I stop talking right away, my expression dropping.

"Rinae, what are you doing with him?" I ask, softer and less excited.

"What do you mean?" she asks, "Why do you sound so scared?"

"Are you ridiculous? Mysterious disappearances at sea, Rinae! What makes you think the next disappearance won't be you?!"

"I don't know that," she says, playing with her fingers. "Obviously, I don't know that. But I just thought-"

"You just thought everything would be fine, right? That he'd just be your nice, little merfolk friend and everything would work out? Wake up, Rinae!"

"Sorry-"

"You should be," I say, "I can't believe you. First, sneaking out when my back is turned. Then I find you here. With a race we don't even understand. With a race that drowns our own people-"

"Wait, Aemin-"

"Don't tell me to wait! You could have seriously gotten hurt, you're just putting yourself in more danger-"

"Aemin!" she yells.

I flinch, it's the first time she's ever raised her voice towards me, or towards anybody for that matter.