Chapter One

He pulls the dark hood over his head, tightening the cloak around himself. This is it. I can finally leave this place. Sneaking past his parents bedroom, he sprints down the stairs and ducks into an empty room as one of the servants walks past.

Poking his head out, he sneaks towards the big wooden doors. This is it. This is actually happening. Pulling the doors towards him, he slips out and slams them shut behind him.

Now all that's left is for him to is climb over the wall and then he's home free. Walking out of the shadows he walks towards the wall, planning to scale it.

"Hey!"

Jolting he turns to the left, and his eyes widen once he spots Nya there, glaring at him. He slowly starts to back up, scared of how it'll look when she brings him in to his parents.

"Come back!"

Turning on his heel, he sprints towards the far wall, knowing there's a rope of ivy that he can use. There's light footsteps behind him, indicating she's chasing him. A weight on his back knocks him down and forces him to roll over onto his back. Looking up, he has to force himself not to blush. Nya is straddling him, holding her weapon to his throat. Reaching out, she latches her fingers around the hood and lifts it off his head.

"Prince Jay?!" Nya stutters out, quickly jumping off him.

A hand gets extended towards him. Grabbing it, he stands up and dusts off the cloak. Nya puts her weapon in the holder across her back.

He stares at her. He shouldn't be doing this. He shouldn't be out here. But he has to be, he doesn't want to marry Harumi. He wants to live his life by his own rules, not by the rules his parents set out for him. He never will. He wants her. Her long black hair flowing down to her shoulders, her uniform fitting perfectly around her slim frame. Her brown eyes shine in the moonlight.

It's not right. She knows this is wrong. But why does it feel so right? She has so many questions but it's like her voice is gone. She can't even open her mouth to ask. His auburn hair droops down his forehead, his blue eyes shining.

"I want to leave," Jay blurts out, covering his mouth after the fact.

Nya's widen and then blink. Three times. A sign of confusion. Nya gently places a hand on his arm, curling her fingers around his upper arm.

"Let's go somewhere more quiet."

Leading him around the back of the palace, towards the garden. Sitting down on the bench, Nya pats the spot next to her, inviting him to sit with her. Lowering himself into the seat, he sits next to her. She turns to look at him. She's even more beautiful up close.

"Why do you want to leave?" She asks, her angelic voice ringing in his ears.

And he tells her. Why? Because he has a sense that he can trust her. So, he tells her everything. About the arranged marriage with Harumi, about how his parents are likely to kick him out. Once he's finished, he runs a hand through his hair and sighs.

Nya's eyes are laced with sympathy. Like she doesn't know what to do in this situation. Which is understandable, she hasn't been in a situation like this before. A gentle hand lays on his arm, making Jay look down at her.

"It'll be okay. I know it doesn't seem like it is but I promise it'll be okay."

Jay smiles at her.

"Thank you. Hopefully you're right."

"Jayson Gordon!" A shrill yell from inside makes Jay groan and stand up.

"So much for that escape plan," Jay murmurs.

"I should probably get back to my post."

Standing up, Nya runs back into the courtyard. Jay heads back inside and locks himself in his room, curling up on his bed and falling asleep.

Sorry it's short. Hope you're all staying safe and well.