Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Endlessly...you shall be mine"

Her hands shivered like her heart. The hours of anticipation didn't prepare her. Anguish faded as soon as eyes met. There weren't any answers in either of them. Just questions. Ones that seemed to be increasing every second.

Asad was getting agitated. They'd been here for more than eight hours and nobody pitied him enough to leave Zoya alone.

As if Dilshad had read his thoughts, she looked at Zoya and announced she could use a cup of tea.

Then she signalled her son. Asad almost rolled his eyes. His Ammi thought of him dumber than he actually was. He immediately excused himself and followed suit.

Zoya looked up at the sound of someone clearing their throat. She stared at him for a second too long and got back to work.

Asad stood in the middle of kitchen awkwardly, arms loose by his side, unsure how to start the conversation. He shoved his hands into his pant pockets, moving about the space.

"So, the officers never called back for you to testify?" he started. Why did he bring Tanveer up out of all?

"No" Zoya said softly.

"Did you need anything?" She added a moment later. He held her gaze like she was the answer to her own question. Zoya spilled some sugar on the counter clumsily, distractingly, nervously. He gazed on at the mess and mess-maker lovingly.

The New York sun reflected off the kitchen counter creating shadows as she mustered up the courage to say something. He hadn't said a word, hadn't stepped closer but he'd never felt more intimate.

His gaze burned her with awareness.

"Who would have thought she would confess?" she had to change the vibe.

"It's only right after you try to manipulate everyone and feed poison to someone" His voice was as flat and dark as the counter.

"Why?" Zoya wondered aloud.

"Money, I suppose makes you do things" he answered after a minute of retrospection.

"I'm really sorry" she muttered empathetic as her eyes locked with his. He blinked slow as if to reassure her. She couldn't smile back.

"Zoya, kaha reh gai" Aapi called from the other side.

**

Hours later after dinner was served, good nights said, plans made for days to come, Asad walked into the direction of Zoya's room.

He had to talk to her.

It was insanity, absolute madness that he hadn't held her in his arms right when he saw her at the airport. She had come to receive them but never once looked in his direction– for more than two seconds. She had chatted, laughed, blasted rap music, then chastised by Aapi turned it into Kishore Kumar songs but hadn't acknowledged his presence.

Only the mention of Tanveer had prompted her to look at him, really see him but that didn't last long.

Now with everyone asleep he could finally unveil his own secrets, prompt her to tell hers.

The lights in her room were still on. He gently knocked once. He saw her shadow move through the curtained window, but the door stayed locked. He tried again.

Nothing. Was she not hearing him?

The next rap on her door came a little forceful.

"Ms. Faaroqui, I can see you're not asleep" he decided to call her out.