CHAPTER 3

Klaus and I are walking through the woods in silence until he finally breaks it

Klaus and I are walking through the woods in silence until he finally breaks it. I swear if there was another minute of silence I may have actually gone crazy.

"You know Caroline everything you are confused about will be brought to light tonight." Klaus tells me like I know exactly what he's talking about.

"What do you mean?" I ask him, genuinely curious.

"Just know I'm sorry. So, the quarterback has been saved. What now?" He asks as if I don't know what he is going to do.

"Don't you have a dying girl you need to go punish for her sins?" I tell him.

"I do, but I won't, for you." He tells me. I give him a look extremely unconvinced.

"So you came all the way to Mystic Falls to back off when I tell you to?"

"No. I came all the way to Mystic Falls to gloat over a corpse-to-be, as you so poetically put it, but I will leave - minus the gloating - in return for one, small thing." Of course, he needs something in return, has he never heard of a favour.

"And what is that?" I turn to him as we stop in a small clearing.

"I want your confession." He tells me. 'What the hell' is the only thing on my mind all my previous thought erased by one sentence.

"My confession? I didn't do anything. Confession about what?" I ask shaking my head lightly.

"Me. As soon as we're done here, I'm going to walk away and I'm never coming back. You'll never again have to look me in the eye and cover our connection with hostility or revulsion. And you'll never have to loathe the darkest parts of yourself that care for me, in spite of all I've done. I will be gone and you will be free. I just want you to be honest with me." He tells me slowly getting closing the gap between us.

"I'm in college. I'm building a life for myself. I have plans, and a future; and things that I want and none of those things involve you. Okay. None of them."

"I see." He says trying to cover up his sadness.

"No, you don't. Yes, I do cover our connection with hostility, 'cause yes, I hate myself for the truth. So if you promise to walk away...like you said, and never come back. Then yes...I will be honest with you. I will be honest with you about what I want."

"I will walk away. and I will never come back. I promise." As he promises me this I slowly approach him till our faces are within inches of each other.

"Good." I breathe out. I reach up cause he's taller than me and kiss him softly reaching my hand up to his neck as I continue to kiss him. Pulling away I rest my forehead on his as he grins like a child. He speeds us against the tree as we kiss passionately and begin to undress each other.

~~~

I walk into the room fumbling with my jacket as I try to remove all the dirt from my clothes. Until I notice Matt, Bonnie and Jeremy. "Hey." I say awkwardly, I mean surely they noticed I'm not exactly looking how I was earlier.