03

"I've been thinking about what you said a while back," Jisung said as they walk together by the hall. Jeno's eyes were trained at the end of the path, eager to leave the place that flooded with students. "What if you can see red strings? You can find your destined partner!" he exclaimed eagerly.

"And?"

"And if you find your partner, then your relationship will be smooth sailing. Imagine something like not arguing about the pettiest things? For example, both of you like mint chocolate ice cream, like monochrome colors and--"

Jeno sighs runs a hand down his face. Jisung's rambling about red strings and destined partners made him remember his own parents being soulmates, but they weren't even compatible. He knew that marriage and love are two different things to begin with, yet neither of them honored that.

The morning after that night, his parents were like strangers yet maintained a civil conversation - something that Jeno used to see when he was younger. It was the calm before the storm. Truly, the effect of the broken red string made him perplexed. Was it supposed to be like this?

Maybe cutting their red string was a good idea after all. His parents were acting like strangers that couldn't help but be polite with each other, but he was glad that they had looked at him in the eye again for the first time in forever.

"Don't expect too much. The reality is the harsh version of your imagination," he sighed and pats Jisung on the shoulder. He feels bad about crushing the young boy's imagination about destined partners, but it's better for him to know than regret later. "Not all soulmates are rainbows and butterflies."

The younger boy scoffs, "At least I knew that much."

•••

"Why the hell are you in a hurry?" Jeno hissed when Mark had drag him away from his little study session in the classroom. He wanted to choke him out of frustration, but decides he won't like killing his friend that way.

"Lee Jeno! Get your shit together! Rankings are already posted!" He wasn't excited for the rankings like he used to, and he wasn't expecting his name to be on the very top of the list anymore. There was no excitement in his part, so why was his friend more excited than him?

When both boys arrived on the scene, more students have gathered in front of the bulletin board. It was a mess. Everyone is shoving past each other just to take a glimpse of their name whether they'll be attending supplementary classes or not.

"We could've just take a look after classes," he deadpanned and turns around in attempt to leave; but he ultimately stops in his tracks when a familiar pink haired boy entered his vision.

And as if he was in the movies, his vision of him was clearer than his glasses. Everyone has faded out in the background, he couldn't hear anyone else besides the loud thumping of his heart, and the amplified voice of the pink haired fairy.

"No biggie, it's just one point difference. I'll just have to make sure of my answers next time," Jaemin said to his friend.

Like a spell, his words made him step closer to him. Now, he's standing behind him and his friends as he tried to look for his name on the bulletin board.

Rank 1: Lee Jeno

There is a pause on his part. He blinks several times to make sure he wasn't looking at things wrongly. Jeno was zoning out from the happiness surging within his stomach that he didn't realized he's clenching his fists inside his pockets.

He didn't know he's suppressing his smile until he was brought back to reality when Jaemin's voice had faded out and he could hear someone yapping instead. He moves further in front of the bulletin board to take a quick look of the owner of the voice, he didn't recognize him, but he sure did see the red string that connected to..

Na Jaemin.

His eyes widened. There was a surge of disappointment within his system. What was he expecting anyway? It's not like he's destined to be with him since he was connected to Mark in the first place, so it was natural that Jaemin was destined with somebody else.

Jeno slightly backs away from the bulletin board to let other students see their name. He discreetly stood a bit closer to the tanned skin boy that was still rambling about the rank; carefully, he takes the thin red string by his fingertips.

Should I?

Now he's in the first place, it won't be difficult to maintain it especially he had damaged Jaemin's ego. He wasn't egoistic, that he knew, but he understood his body language.

When Jaemin realized that he wasn't on top like he used to, his eyes were blank with disappointment. He was quick to dismiss that it was 'no biggie', but there was a small frown on his lips that almost seemed invisible if you don't look enough.

Jeno smiles. Maybe this was the god given opportunity to him. Jaemin was basically untouchable, but now that he's out of his throne, he can take the authority Jaemin once had.

Who cares about destined partners? If fate can fuck up soulmates, then he was sure he can decide who he wants. Without hesitation, he brought his fingers between the red thread. He glances up to Jaemin who was beginning to smile at his soulmate's ramblings, and a new found greed erupted within Jeno's heart.

Yeah. I want him.

Snip! It was over by a second. He stands up straight after that, looking all nonchalant while looking at his name again. He feels proud at himself, too proud for his own liking but he can't help it. Who wouldn't?

"You're Lee Jeno?" a smaller looking student which Jeno assumed to be one of Jaemin's friend stepped closer to him. He looks down on the smaller boy, waiting.

"Yeah. What about it?" Jeno answered, sounding a bit colder than usual. Why is he talking to him anyway? He didn't understand what they were talking about anyway, but he pretended he wasn't aware of them. "Are you Na Jaemin?"

"No," the boy answered shakily. What is he shaking for? He narrowed his eyes at the boy and observed his body language. He isn't afraid of me, is he? Jeno smiled subtly, stopping himself to smirk at the small bold figure in front of him.

"I'm sure he's one of your friends over there," Jeno nodded towards the group of friends behind the smaller boy. He met eyes with Jaemin who only widened his eyes at him. "You can tell him he won't be getting his number one throne back."

Wait. He wasn't supposed to say that!

He mentally beat himself up when he caught Jaemin's eyes gaze at him with contempt, but he was also glad he had made his presence known to him. Now, all he has to do is maintain his attention to him. Jeno chuckles to himself as he turns his back to walk towards his friends who were waiting for him.

I'll win you next, Na Jaemin.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝘭. 𝘫𝘦𝘯𝘰 ✔ 🎉