1

Kaia

“It’s right here.”

“Open it for gods sake.”

“I can’t!”

My hands were trembling at the sight of the ivory envelope in my hands. Whilst trying to balance the phone in-between my ear and shoulder, I was having quite a lot of difficulty opening the letter. Not because of the awkward angles my long arms would have to make in order to do so, but simply because my whole future was in the palm of my hands.

Before you think that it’s a letter from a college, no it’s not.

In my case, it’s far more important then a silly letter from an Ivy League school.

“We’ve been on the phone for nearly half an hour, and still you haven’t opening the damn letter.”

“Shut the fuck up,” I spat into my phone as I snatched the letter opener that was on the kitchen table. I placed the phone on top of the counter as I took a deep breath.

“I’m opening it,” I whispered, loud enough for Sabrina to here on the line.

“It’s about time.”

I rolled my eyes, aware of the fact that she wouldn’t be able to see, as I began to gently tug on the envelope flap with the tip of the knife. My hands began to tremble with fear and anxiousness, the movement causing the knife to graze against my fingers every few seconds.  After ripping the flap halfway, I sighed in defeat.

“I can’t do it.”

“Are you fucking kidding me? You’ve been saying this for the past hour!”

“I’m scared Sabby, if I don’t get accepted I’m going to be so torn.”

The line was silent for a few seconds before she replied.

“I’m coming over, hold on.”

At this point I began to vigorously bite my nails, pacing back and forth, glancing ever so slightly at my future on the kitchen table. It didn’t take long for a head of platinum blonde hair to poke through the window, climbing down the ladder that lead from her apartment to mine. An annoyed look was placed on her face, and it almost seemed like she was stampeding in fury towards my direction.

“You little piece of shit,” she mumbled under her breath as she glared at me. Her eyes instantly landed on the envelope, and she swiftly grabbed it.

“Let’s get this over with,” she muttered under her breath as she began tearing at the delicate material. I was about to scream at her for ruining the edges of the letter with her long electric coral fingernails, but the sound of squeals was all it took for that thought to be long forgotten.