~ Prologue ~

"I want her dead."

"I know you do," said the voice on the other end of the line, "but it's not that simple."

The caller snorted with disdain. "It shouldn't be that hard. She has no one. She lives alone. She works alone. She's alone all the time."

"It's not that simple," the voice repeated. "And it's not my fault she survived last time. If I hadn't been interrupted –"

"You mean if you hadn't been incompetent," the caller snapped with their own interruption. "She would be dead, and you would have your payment. I've given you more than enough motivation to get it done. Get it done."

"You've only given me half of what we agreed to," the voice whined in objection.

"The other half is waiting for you to finish the job."

"I need that money. You know I need it."

"Then I suggest you take care of the matter so I can pay you."

Before the voice could say anything else the caller added in, "And if you don't get it right this time the deal's off. I'll take care of her myself."

The voice held back the secondary sigh building inside their chest. "I'll have it taken care of within the week."

There were no further instructions or threats, and the silence between the two was replaced by the double beeping sound of the mobile phone confirming the call was indeed over.

On the other side of the conversation the caller took a moment to wipe down the disposable phone and then casually dropped it into a nearby sidewalk bin, the throwaway technology no more valuable than the life being discussed, both items as worthless as a piece of litter meant to be discarded at the earliest convenience.