The Last Wish

Prologue.

“You know,” he murmured, swirling the cold beer in his glass, “you’re asking for something you can’t handle.”

“I can handle it.” I said with more confidence than I actually felt. He smirked, looking down at his glass. Clearly, he was thinking about it and I hoped that he could trust me enough to tell me the truth.

“I don’t know…” he said, more to himself than to me. After one glance at his drink, he brought it to his lips and swallowed it in one big gulp. It was his way of calming himself. I knew perfectly well that I was asking for something that was hard for him to give me but he had to tell me. He had gone past the stage where he could just leave me.

“Trust me, please,” I whispered, taking his hand in mine and intertwining our fingers. He stared down at our hands as if contemplating his decision.

“It’s hard,” he tightened his hold like he was holding on for dear life and in a way, he was. I didn’t want to hurt him by making him repeat everything but I needed to know everything that he had been hiding from me for the past six months.

“How long can you hide the truth?” I fumed, wrenching my hand away from his, “you need to let it out at some point!”

His face twisted in pain as his soulful blue eyes bore into mine, almost commanding me to crumble and give up but I had to find out and I had to hear it from him. Maybe I was being childish about it but he meant more to me than he knew and I couldn’t watch him break without even trying to do anything.

“I told you,” he said, “you don’t need to know.”

The pain was no longer visible in his face, instead, all I could see was anger. He was angry and it was beginning to show on his face but even that would not make me give up on him.

“If you don’t tell me,” I breathed once, willing myself to continue looking into his eyes with surety and confidence, “then I’ll-”

“You’ll what? Leave!?” he stood up making his chair fall back with a loud thud. His cold hearted fury was clearly visible on his face and it unnerved me. I shut my eyes, just waiting for him to blow off his steam. My heart was thumping wildly against my chest and stomach clenched in fear of what he could – or would – do.

“Leave, then!” his body shook with anger.

“I will if you continue to do this!”

He kneeled down in front of me and placed both of his hands on each of my knees, sending sparks shoot up my body. He looked into my eyes, almost begging me to listen to him and let him be. My head felt dizzy just by looking into his eyes that hid more secrets than they revealed.

“You’ll leave me just like everyone else did?” he murmured, tracing circles on my knees with the pad of his thumbs. He was trying to unnerve me and it worked. My head felt fogged up and I felt like I had to do everything he asked.

I cupped his face in my hands, feeling the light stubble on his face. He had probably not shaved that morning and that was okay because I liked his face better with his stubble, “No, I would never and you should know that.”

“Then please, trust me,” he murmured as he pulled me closer and brought his lips over mine. I relished in the feel of his lips against my own and I decided that perhaps, I should go about this in a different way.