Chapter 200: Outwit the Longzhi King

It wasn't so easy to find the place where the female fox had been buried, because I had burned the place beyond recognition. I found some burning charcoals, cut down the tree branches that hadn't been burned, and lit two bonfires around us.

The fire had no momentum since there wasn't as much grass as before, but at least the area around us was brighter. It was only at this time that I noticed that Che Zhong was much more seriously injured than I was, and basically couldn't do anything.

The fact that he told me to go first showed that he had really assessed his situation well.

I went on digging the hole, and dug up the rocks bit by bit. Finally, just as I was getting tired and on the verge of passing out, I saw the female's fur. I stabbed it twice with my knife, and it was only when I was sure that it was really dead, and the body was stiff that I moved the rocks and dug this thing out.

When I dropped the corpse in front of Che Zhong, he was choked by the scorched smell of smoke and fire. He coughed, and a thin line of blood oozed out of the wound on his face.

The female was very large, and many parts of her body were burnt to cinders, but this didn't hinder my plan. Many animals were very large, in fact, but wrong predictions were often made because of their walking habits and posture. For example, many people didn't know that they weren't as tall as a dog when they were standing up.

"What's the relationship between husband and wife like for this kind of thing?" I asked Che Zhong as I chopped off the charred parts of the female's body.

"The Longzhi king can't travel long distances, so any migration that requires endurance must be done by the female. Once she's dead, the Longzhi king's death isn't far off. But this kind of thing is very vicious, and it will harm and kill many people before it dies. It can stay in one place for six or seven years, and then starve to death when all the food is gone."

"In other words, it's a thing that depends on its wife to run away, but gets violent if it's stuck in one place." I said, "Can this kind of thing divorce? Or, can it remarry after its wife's death?"

Che Zhong frowned. "Is your plan to seduce it?"

I looked down at my figure, which was a far cry from a female's. I didn't think the king would deign to lower his standards to fuck someone like me. I cut off the female's head, then inserted my dagger into her throat and slit it. I then pulled some charcoal from the fire, and poured it in the cavity I had made.

The blood had solidified into lumps, and after the flesh had been burnt by the charcoal, it gave off a strange smell—almost like the taste of Korean barbecue. It appeared this thing could be eaten, and it would probably be quite delicious.

I poured a large amount of burning charcoal into it, because animals could sense each other's body temperature and judge whether the other was alive or dead. After filling up the female's corpse, I stripped off Che Zhong's clothes, tied them to a branch, took the female's cut off head, and stuck it on the branch.

"What are you really trying to do?" Che Zhong was puzzled, and Brother Xiao Man looked at me with a confused look on his face. I reached over and tried to pet him, but he didn't cooperate at all. "Are you trying to make it look like the female is still alive? The king's probably looking at us now. You'll never succeed—you even cut her head off."

"You know because you're familiar with this animal, but it may not know that you know it so well." I said. "The biggest difference between animals' and humans' intelligence is that animals' paranoia is single-level, while my thinking is multi-level. Since they're smarter than ordinary animals, they should be able to understand my first-level thinking. But my second-level thinking... even you, Che Zhong, didn't notice it just now."