They left Laura to her self-appointed work, gathered what they needed of their gear, and headed back outside. Rebecca was hesitant to leave their heavy firepower behind, but Landry's explanation of a community rule banning openly carried assault weapons made more sense over time as she considered where a large number of the residents had come from. Even in the hands of their erstwhile saviors, the sight would bring back unpleasant memories and maybe even sow comparisons to their captivity, something everyone wanted to avoid.

She couldn't deny that her armor was pleasantly lighter with several of the pouches empty or the ammunition replaced by a few of Sam's tools so they only had to carry one small bag with them. Still, her hand brushed across the familiar butt of her pistol in a habitual inventory check on the way out the door. Radio, gun, flashlight. In another life, that was keys, phone, wallet. Sam's Vector, stock folded and suppressor removed, tucked in small enough across her back to thread a grey zone between the spirit and letter of the law.

Landry whistled cheerfully as they followed him through the neighborhood, and Rebecca took in more of the sights. All of the houses were about the same size, just about right for a small family, but certainly not much more.

"Nick, these houses are all decent enough, but—" She nodded towards some of the opulent mansions she could see beyond the fence line. "Why not move into some of the fancier places? Everybody deserves a little luxury after what they went through, and it would entice more recruits too, no?"

He waved towards the reinforced fence and its occasional crude watchtower as they walked. "I don't disagree, sister, but too spread apart. More acreage to defend. Dense buildings like this would be more vulnerable in the old days overseas, when we had to worry about rockets and mortars. But here, we can watch out for each other better and keep a tighter perimeter. There were some concerns about distance between the houses if there was a fire, but we figure more people getting on scene early with hoses and extinguishers was actually better too." He nodded in another direction. "Plus, the creek makes a good backup water source, in case the municipal supply ever gives up the ghost."

"Mmm. Guess the right stars all do kinda align then."

"Or were made to," he replied with a hearty chuckle.

Rebecca suspected that sounded like Amira's handiwork, but hesitated to voice the thought out of concern for Sam's nerves. However, when she snuck a quick glance, the smirk that was waiting for her confirmed it was a shared thought.

Landry led them to the first of the solar clusters. In an open area wedged between the main street and two cul-de-sacs worth of houses, a dozen panels rested on a scaffolding of fence posts, two-by-fours, and white plastic piping. He lingered while Sam gave things an initial once-over from below, and Rebecca gently teased him about Dylan for a little longer — more as a way of finding out how things were going and being indirectly supportive than to be malicious. She also inquired about a handful of the other refugees that she remembered — by the time she was feeling more or less caught up, Sam made her way back to them.

Landry looked hesitant as she arrived. "So, boss? How's it looking?"

Sam's expression and tone were noncommittal. "The basics are sound but I want to poke at it more. You said the other one's still under construction?"

"Well, it's built. But it doesn't seem to be working properly. Is there anything I can help with by sticking around, or should I sneak away to work on dinner plans?"

Groaning at his assessment of the other location, Sam looked back at the structure and worksite beneath — her gaze pausing at a ladder someone had left behind. "No, I think my lovely assistant can provide what I need. And, if it means we eat better tonight, I definitely think your time and daylight is better spent there."