Tea with honey

TW: slurs and Homotransphobia
...

Chuuya and Akutagawa did everything they could to send Yumeno at school. They had to face some people who didn't let them because of their sexuality, they even had to manipulate people sometimes. They both hated doing that, but it was necessary for their child. In the end, they succeeded in their purpose. They registered Yumeno at school.
Both of them knew what their child was going to face: discrimination for having two fathers, being non-binary and stuff like that, they were sure they were going to face it everyday. But still, they were going to try. Besides, Akutagawa and Chuuya believed that it didn't matter what, if society wasn't ready to accept lgbt people then someone had to stand up. Being silent wasn't going to work.

They kind of predicted it. Yumeno was bullied at school.

Chuuya and Akutagawa knew it from the very start of everything, when Yumeno was silent most of the time, and they weren't smiling. They were used to see a pretty smile on their child's face, but those days there wasn't any trace of it. Yumeno's eyes were usually bright, their cheeks used to be fully pink because of the blush, and they always wore a smile. But they just stopped smiling at some point. Their eyes seemed filled with nothing but pain. Still, they didn't cry.

-Are you okay, Yumeno?- Chuuya asked one day.
-Yes, why?- Yumeno answered.
-You seem a little bit off these days.-
-I have no idea what you're talking about.-
Chuuya knew what that meant. When Yumeno said "I have no idea", they knew what was going on.
Then, he decided to talk about it to his husband.

-So I was right.- Akutagawa thought out loud.
-Huh?- Chuuya asked.
-Yumeno seems very sad these days. And I'm sure they are. You noticed that, I suppose.- Answered Akutagawa.
Of course Chuuya noticed. The red-haired man felt awful everytime they looked in Yumeno's eyes and just saw sadness.
-Yes, of course. But I don't really know what to do if they don't want to talk about it with us.- Chuuya said.
He was right, in fact.
They couldn't force the information out of Yumeno's mouth and they knew it.
So they decided to wait.

They waited.
They waited months.
They waited until Yumeno came home from school crying.
Then, they couldn't wait anymore.

-Yumeno, what happened?- Akutagawa asked.
-Nothing important.- Was the only answer.
-It doesn't look like it.- Chuuya said. -You're weird these days. And now you start crying out of nowhere.- He knew he sounded rude, but he didn't know how to say it.
-I'm okay, trust me.- Yumeno said, while sniveling.
-You are not, honey.- Chuuya said, in a softer tone.
Yumeno didn't look at them. They refused to look at them with their eyes full of tears.
-Hey, we won't force the information out of you. But we're here if you need our support.- Akutagawa said.
The kid now looked their father in the eyes, wondering how they could say they believed in those words. Their parents were the only people Yumeno knew they could trust. They didn't want them to feel like their own child didn't believe in what they said.
But there was only one way.

-I...- Yumeno started talking. -I guess I'm bullied at school.-
Akutagawa and Chuuya expected it. In fact, they weren't surprised, their faces were like before. Of course they cared about it, and both of them were pretty scared their child could be bullied. Akutagawa passed sleepless nights thinking about Yumeno's future, and the thought of his child being bullied was always there. He imagined them being beaten up and discriminated because of him and Chuuya and their gender. He could just hope Yumeno wasn't going to do extreme things. He prefered not to think about it.
And Chuuya often said "what will we do if they get bullied?" everytime he heard about homophobia on tv.

Homophobia was always there, it kind of lived in their minds.
There was a time when they were too afraid to come out as lgbt people. Everywhere they went somewhere they always said they were "just friends", or brothers, or cousins, until they got tired.
"We won't hide ourselves anymore" they promised to each other one day.
They got used to homophobia, sadly. Both of them expected it from everyone, everywhere they went. It was sad, they knew, but there was no way they could think otherwise. Their experience was just too much for them.
And for their child? No, Yumeno wasn't going to hurt theirselves like Chuuya and Akutagawa did. They deserved to be happy and confident with who they were from the first day of their life.