ch. 1

"breakfast is ready!" my mom yelled. i walked down the stairs just to find that an old man with a fancy suit was sitting at our table.

"mac this is my lawyer, his name is mr. scott. i'm sorry you have to hear this, but i'm divorcing your father."

my heart dropped. i tried to gasp for air but i was in so much shock i just stood there not knowing what to do.

"w-w-why?" i choked out with tears streaming down my face.

"i'm so sorry mac, i just can't tell you. all you need to know is that you're safe."

i ran upstairs wiping the tears off my face. i quickly changed and dashed out the door.

not knowing what to do or where to go i went into the woods as far as i can.

i grabbed an old skateboard off the road and went in deeper.

i fell to the ground out of loss of breath when i saw it.

a skate park.

but no ones there, it looks abandoned.

there were leaves everywhere but the skatepark.

that's weird. someone has definitely been here.

i hop on the skateboard and start practicing. i'm doing pretty good for this being my like 4th time ever doing it.

i take a break not knowing what time it is so i take a nap.

i wake up to it being dark so i ran home following the dents in the leaves from my footsteps earlier.

i climb the ladder on the side of the house and sneak in my window.

i have no clue what time it is so i'm hoping my mom is asleep.

i sneak downstairs pretended i was getting a glass of water when the lights turn on.

"mac where have you been!?!" my mom yells

"i-i needed some time by myself."

"at 2 am?!"

woah it's already 2 am?

"i fell asleep im sorry. and why is he still here at 2 in the morning?!" i say pointing to the old lawyer.

"that is none of your business. give me your phone and go to bed NOW."

not giving her my phone i stomp upstairs and slam my door.

i haven't seen my father since he left for his business trip a week ago.

i don't know what my dad does for work, he always told me it was classified. i never understood why i wasn't allowed to know.

he never had to go to work for just a day though. he was only home for 3 days at a time then go on 2 week business trips.

i've always been a lone wolf. i've had one friend my whole life, and in 7th grade when i had 2 more girls in my group in ended horribly and i didn't have any friends for 8th grade. my best friend chloe baker, who's been my best friend my whole life apologized for letting those other girls get to her and we've been best friends ever since.

i applied for 5 colleges and didn't get accepted into any. ever since i told my mom she always looked at me as if i was retarded.

i graduated highschool about a month ago and have no idea what i'm doing for the rest of my life.

since my dad is always working he makes tons of money, we have this not giant, but not normal sized 3 story house.

i've never been allowed on the bottom floor and there's always been a security lock on the door leading down there because it's my dad's work area.

the middle floor is where the kitchen, dining room, living room, and laundry room are.

the top floor is where the bedrooms, game room, and theatre room are.

no one ever goes in the theatre room anymore and idk why.

i go to bed wishing i would wake up to all this being a dream.