6

November 18, 1929

Edison, New Jersey

"Okay, so what color do you think we should make these outfits?" Josie and Kenneth as the two of them sat together with his sketchbook open, trying to make the design for the costumes they promised Mr. Toledo.

"I think you'd look real keen in a ruby red. It fits you nice. Like your lipstick." Kenny said with no hesitation.

Josie scratched her head and giggled. "I mean, it is my favorite color, but I'm not the only one that has to wear these costumes, ya' know?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Huh? Oh, right! Silly me." He connected his palm with his forehead, becoming extremely bashful at the fact that he was only thinking about her and not everybody else.

"I do think a ruby red is a real nice color though. Maybe red coats and black pants for the men? Something that hugs the curves for the women?"

Kenneth thought about it for a moment, but then immediately picked up his pencil and began sketching. She watched as his finely crafted hands moved the pencil along the paper, every single streak coming together to create one main shape. He didn't have to erase once, he knew exactly what he was doing and what he wanted to do. She couldn't help but smile at the way he slightly stuck his tongue out of the corner of his mouth, keeping it between his pink lips as his eyes moved every which way.

"Like this?" He dropped the pencil and slid the book over to her.

"Yes, exactly like that! You really are a talented fella' Kenny."

"Me? Look at you!"

"Oh please, anybody can hold a note. It takes a lot of raw talent to make somethin' outta nothin'." You bring everything to life, it's just amazing." Josie grinned as she rested her head on her fist.

"You think so, Jo?" He smiled with tight lips, only his few front teeth showing.

"I know so, Ken." She nudged his arm causing him to become bashful and stare at the ground, rubbing his shoulder.

A moment of thick silence between the two passed as Kenny pondered on. There was tension between them, there was no doubt about that. It was clear he liked her, it was clear she liked him. Who would act on it first was what was in question.

"Let me take you out, Josie." He licked his lips and looked up at her with the straightest of faces that he could put on.

"Are... Are you serious?" This was the first time she had been genuinely asked out by someone who wasn't a white man with a fetish. He genuinely cared about her, they genuinely cared about each other, and that made her happy.

"As serious as serious can be. You've just been such a doll to me, all the time. I just want you to understand how much I appreciate ya', truly. You've done so much for me, now let me treat'cha to this."

"Aww, Ken," She rested her head on his shoulder. "You don't need to treat me to anything. Save your dollars. I enjoy spending this time with ya', even just sittin' and bumpin' gums with you. And despite any of the bad things that me meetin' you had led to, it was only fate that we would end up here together, don't you think?"

"Well there's just no doubtin' it, Jo'... You know one day, when I get big and my clothing designs start spreadin' like wildfire, you're gonna get first dibs."

She giggled. "Well, in that case, I can't wait for that day."

"Ya' know... I think I've really got a crush on you, Ms. Bailey."

"Well, I could've told ya' that myself. It's all in the cheeks," She placed a hand on his smooth cheek and stroked it with her thumb, causing him to internally melt inside. "I've got a crush on you too."