5

November 12, 1929

Edison, New Jersey

When Josephine woke herself from a full eight hours of rest, she wasn't surprised to see that Kenneth had already beat her to it. The night before she was so worn out from dealing with those angsty people at the restaurant across the street that she wanted to do nothing more but lie in bed and pretend that it had never happened. Kenneth, however, spent the majority of his night staring at the sleeping beauty, just to make sure she wouldn't wake before his eyes sunk down to put him in his own state of relaxation. She had been so anxious that he wanted to make sure she felt safe enough to sleep before he selfishly fell before her.

She sat up in the bed, squinting at the bright rays of the sunshine outside clouding her vision. "Mornin', beautiful." Kenneth addressed her as he sat on one of the lounging chairs with his notepad in hand.

"Good morning. How long have you been sittin' there?" She fixed her robe, which was falling off of her shoulders.

"About an hour now. I didn't want to disturb you, you were sleeping' so peacefully. You barely shuffled throughout the night, didn't snore. Slept just like a baby." He faintly smiled, looking off into the distance. He snapped out of his trance. "Well now that you're up, we can go out into town. Look for some jobs while we're out."

"Oh..." She looked down. "Well I thought we would get back on the road and do our work search in Pennsylvania."

"Well I figured we could go out and look while we're in town, that way maybe we won't have to go all the way to Pennsylvania and it'll be much easier to get to and from work if we find a place closer to home."

"You're right. Ugh, I don't feel like usin' my legs at all." She flopped back down on the bed, lying there with her hands above her head.

Kenneth sighed and stood up, approaching her. He grabbed her by the hands and began to pull her up, hearing her groan. "Come on. A job ain't gonna find itself."

"Alright, alright." She let him pull her up completely. He smiled a pushed a strand of her hair out of her face with a hand on her shoulder. "You gonna let me go now or are we gonna stare at each other all day? I'm fine with either." Josie smirked.

"Oh, um, right." He cleared his throat and stepped out of her way. She chuckled under her breath and shook her head, going into the bathroom to take care of her hygeine.

"You think we could do a little sight seein'? Maybe pick up a few things to remind of us of the trip. It'll be nice to recount on this experience someday." Josie asked as the rode through the streets of New Jersey, looking around as people stared while they drove by.

"Anythin' for you, sunshine. It was your idea to skip town anyway, so whatever you say goes." He glanced at her quickly, but quickly turned his eyes back to the road ahead. Josephine stared into the side of his honey colored face, smiling at the small dots of freckles that spread across his cheekbones, and the way is jawline arched perfectly.

He had the kind of face that stopped you in your tracks. He must get used to that, the sudden pause in a person's natural expression when they looked his way followed by overcompensating with a nonchalant gaze and a weak smile. Of course the blush that accompanied it was a dead give-away. It didn't help that he was so modest with it, it made the girls fall for him all the more. Despite all the opportunity that came his way he was a one-woman-man who prized genuineness and thoughtful conversation above lipstick and high-heels. He was handsome alright, but inside he was beautiful.

"You know, I haven't met that many women, human or angelic, who actually like to drive. In my experience we seem to be much more pragmatic about the whole thing than you all are. For most males, driving is an extension of their masculinity; they have little fantasy scenarios going all the time - races, chases, and dramatic combat with other drivers. Females, on the other hand, generally seem to view driving as something you do to get somewhere. I know, crazy."