All alone

"What's that sound?" Fabian Carter was racing through the woods with his father when he heard a faint scream in in the distance, causing him to stop in his tracks. "Can you hear that, Father?"

"Yes. Now hurry up, it's almost nightfall, we must get back before nightfall!" Markus Carter, the Chief of the Raven Clan replied swiftly, not a falter in his steps. He was a large man with a scruffy black beard and wild black hair, bringing out the dark blue hues in his eyes.

"But Father, someone may need help!"

"Fabian! The Mage's warning, don't you remember?"

" 'He who purifies shall strike tonight.

The fallen wings shall taste His might.

Three shall perish in raging storm.

Robed in white, one shall transform.'" Fabian responded automatically.

"Yes. Listen Fabian, I am Chief of the Raven Clan, I have to be back before nightfall to make sure no one wanders around after the spell has been lifted, and I will not risk the lives of my people for anything. I'm sorry Fabian, but we must leave." Markus turned around, his tone final.

Fabian glared at his father's back as he walked away. A crow cawed from above. Suddenly, a strange feeling passed over him. It was a gloomy and dark feeling that settled in his heart, one that turns your heart cold. Strangely, it felt good, even almost right, as if the coldness belonged there. But the unsettling thought was pushed aside when a second scream rang through the air, causing a flurry of birds fleeing in fright. It was a girl's scream and it was instantly recognizable by both father and son.

"Melissa!" Fabian screamed, frozen in shock.

"The devil," Markus whispered, his face paling.

"Father?"

"It is the devil. The First Devil." Markus closed his eyes. "It is as I feared. He has come."

"Stop! What do you think you're doing?" Markus yelled in alarm when he saw his son striding towards the border of the Blessed Path. "Are you mad? The crow has called, it is beyond nightfall, you will never come back if you step outside the border!" When Fabian made no move to stop, Markus grabbed his son's face, forcing it to face his, and saw it was full of tears.

"Fabian, we will rescue her after we return to the clan. The Mage will cast a protection spell on us. We will be armed with weapons when we face the devil. If you leave now, you will no longer be in the protection of our ancestors and the whole clan will be in danger. Trust me, Fabian. We will save her," Markus said gently. Fabian looked past the pity in his eyes and saw panic. He snarled and pushed his father away, causing him to stumble in surprise.

"You lie! I look into your eyes and I see panic! Fear! Fear of losing your pride! Fear of losing your honour of being the Chief!" Fabian shouted angrily.

"I am the Chief and a Chief has his duties!" Markus roared back. "How many times have I told Melissa to stay out of the woods, yet she fails to listen every time! I am doing this out of love for my clan! I will not risk the lives of our people for a reckless girl!"

"You are doing this out of fear of losing your power! Go and warn your clan! If pride is all they know, I no longer want to be part of it!" Fabian hissed and with determination blazing in his bright blue eyes, he stepped out of the path.

The symbol of the Raven Clan flashed through his brain, blinding Fabian momentarily. He gasped and opened his eyes. He could no longer feel the clan spell working on him. He was bare and unprotected. Fabian stared as the clan tattoo on his arm sank back into his skin, leaving only a trace of its existence. He took a deep breath and shuddered as the cold air filled his lungs. He felt lighter, but he didn't feel vulnerable. Instead, he felt something awaken in him, a power of some sort, growing in him. But he pushed that thought away when another scream rang through the air. He gripped his bow tight and ran, and he never looked back.