xvii

~*~ s m i i 7 y ~*~

you could hear a pin drop as we sat at the dining table. there was almost no eating going on, just incessant stares. my mom's confused one at us, john's guilty one at me, and my pitiful one at my lap. i mean, what was my mom suppose to think? she didn't even know i broke up with bethany, but then walks in on us?

"um, this was a lovely dinner, mrs. smith, but i need to head home," john mumbled, his food untouched.

"take care, dear. it was nice to meet you. i'll have lucas invite you back another time," my mom smiled as john stood up from the table.

he gave me a quick glance before he slowly walked out the door, never turning back. as soon as the back door closed, my mother dropped her head and let out a sigh. fuck.

"we have to talk about it," she mumbled, scooting her plate to the middle of the table. "please tell me what's going on."

"um, well bethany and i broke up a while ago," i started, bringing a relieved look to my mom's face before a confused one replaced it. "and that was john, uh, he's kind of why."

"what does kind of mean?"

"i don't really want to talk about this," i mumbled, trying to get from the table, but my mom put her hand on top of mine, keeping me. "well, i accidentally cheated on her with him."

"lucas-"

"i know, mom, i'm sorry. it wasn't suppose to happen, it just did. i just... i don't know..." i felt tears prick at my eyes, but i refused to cry in this moment. "i just kissed him and i liked it and then we did it again but i felt terrible about it because of beth, but i just enjoyed it so much."

"you never seemed to like boys before," she whispered, letting go of my hand. "i don't mind, but what changed?"

"because i didn't before," i whispered back. "he's just... he's just different."

~*~

"i cannot believe that happened," i groaned into the phone again. "she should not have been back that soon, oh my god."

"lucas, the more you obsess over it, the longer you're going to be mad and uncomfortable," john spoke from the other line. "at least she didn't see us doing anything. now that would be bad."

"yeah, yeah, you're right," i mumbled quietly, rolling over to my back, my head hanging off the side of the bed.

i was still so confused as to what john and i were, what we were becoming. a few weeks ago, i wouldn't even talk to him, and now, we're talking on the phone like middle school girls. i just wanted to spend so much of my time with him, and it was driving me insane. i never imagined anything like this happening just because i sent him a shirtless picture.

"the art show is in a few days," john began. "and i have a piece or two i'm entering. i was wondering if you would come with me to look at it. it's not a date or anything, i just don't have anyone else to show it to."

"what about tobi and eric? i thought you guys were best friends."

"we are, they just... i don't know, they've been distant. please?"

"sure, i'll come," i replied, sitting up, feeling the blood falling from my head through my body.

"thank you!" you could practically hear the smile in his voice, and it forced one on my face as well.

"yeah, yeah. what day?"

"next saturday, just a week. thank you so much," he said again before giggling.

i am in way too deep.

~*~

"john!" i shouted from the lunch table.

tyler's eyes immediately widened as his brows furrowed. "um, excuse me?"

"shut up," i shot back as john walked over, a very weary look in his eyes. "do uh... do you wanna eat with us?"

tyler's eyes, if possible, got wider. beth looked rather unimpressed, but showed little to no signs of discomfort. john slowly sat down, the only sound within our small circle coming from the clatter of his tray. his eyes locked onto mine immediately.

"um, this is tyler," i said, pointing. "and this is beth. guys, this is john and, if he wants, he's gonna hang,out, okay?" i looked next to me and john's eyes almost looked glassy.

"yeah, that's cool," bethany replied, popping a grape in her mouth. "you know, lucas has told me a lot about you." she had a devious grin on her face as she winked at me.

"he has?" john whispered. "good things, i hope." beth just nodded with a smile.

tyler's look was still very uncomfortable, but it had toned down a bit. he, more than anything, looked mad. "can we talk?" his face dropped. "alone."

i looked at the other two with worry, but followed him to the bathroom, my heart racing.

"lucas smith, you have some real fucking explaining to do," tyler quickly shouted as the door closed. "what the fuck, dude?"

"i know it was just suppose to be one picture, tyler, i fucking know it. i just... i couldn't help it, dude. he's actually kinda cool, i mean, if you get through all the nerdy shit. i actually really like spending time with him..."

"why didn't you just fucking tell me that instead of just leaving me in the dark? you told your ex girlfriend over me, dude!" i just looked at the ground, causing tyler to sigh. "look, i'm not mad, i just... i don't know what to feel, okay? just 10 minutes ago, we were us, all normal, and now, i feel like i'm just intruding on your dirty little secret."

i felt my heart cave and i spilled everything. i told him every single detail of what happened. the nudes, the party, kissing, the break up, the hooking up, everything. his face remained frozen from what i could only assume was shock.

"you're a real piece of work," he finally spoke up after a long silence. "this is all so different and so much more than i ever meant to get into."

"i'm sorry."

"shut up and never say you're sorry to me again," tyler quickly deadpanned before laughing. we shared a chuckle before heading to the doors. just as i opened it, he spoke up, saying the words i never wanted to think about. "sounds like you're falling for him."