Chapter 10 *

Similar to the day before, the three friends met in her room to prepare for their second expedition attempt. Gaal and Vance had been debating for a few minutes on which location to choose. With the last accident, they had agreed to avoid the center or the city in general.

"The forest is completely deserted, there is nothing to fear," Gaal said, he was the first one to arrive, all excited. He slept with a smile on his face and woke up determined to impress Akira. Their relationship had improved, something that had not escaped Vance.

"The forest? It's your best offer" taunted Vance. He wasn't up to date on the latest events and he wasn't interested anyway. The only thing that mattered to him was the fact that the two kids seemed to be getting closer: another one had passed him in his quest for sociability.

"She just wants to go out and stroll around. The forest is the only place where we will be sure to not be caught off guard"

"So? What will we do in the forest? Sit down and admire the insects?" Unlike Gaal, Vance was an outgoing person who liked to have fun -in moderation. Therefore taking a walk in the forest alone didn't inspire him.

"Exactly, we're just going to settle down quietly," replied Gaal, before pointing to the nurse "Wasn't it you who said she needed to rest?"

"It's true, but not resting around insect and moisture"

"Maybe we can go on a picnic," Akira suggested. Her gaze was fixed on the small window that allowed her to have a look at the horizon. Her hands were playing with the tip of the dress that Gaal had insisted on buying. It was long but being sleeveless, she had to opt for a turtleneck underneath. Her hair, however, had still not been subject to any evolution: always well tied in a ponytail and covering her right eye.

The two young men tilted their heads and said simultaneously, "A picnic?"

She turned her eye to them and dropped her dress "Yes... well, it will be more interesting for Vance and we can do it in the forest"

"Another great idea, Akira!" approved Vance.

Gaal glared at him, irritated by his sudden change of mood. He began to consider her idea, putting his hand on his chin "We will have to prepare it then, and more so do it later in the day since we have already eaten our breakfast"

"Mr. Tour Guide now is also a good time to show her around" teased Vance. He went to the door as he said  "I'm taking care of finding a carpet, I let you take care of the food"

Gaal sighed at his exit. He turned to Akira, who seemed to be waiting for him. "Let's start visiting this boat: Red Force!"

•••

Her smile remained polite to the presentation of the crew. She had already met some the day before, while others appeared as unknown new faces. The only face that got him a reaction from her was that of Yassop.

When they entered the hall, the latter was tense: since he had threatened the young woman, Luke had forbidden him to visit her until she came herself to him. The doctor wanted to avoid a possible crisis facing a face that caused her to hallucinate. Yassop bowed his head as Gaal approached him dangerously by pulling the hand of the one he was to avoid.

"... And these are Lucky and Yassop."

She bowed and introduced herself.

"You don't need that, kid! I hope you like it here!" exclaimed Lucky, who was unaware of his comrade's situation.

Another one who was unaware of the situation was Gaal. Not understanding why he acted this way, he thought he was playing the rude card against their guest. Something he didn't like at all. He was present when certain crewmates expressed their opposition to the idea of making this detour. But he thought that facing her, out of politeness, they would put aside their feeling. He was not wrong: since the morning, all the men had only big smiles to offer.