Untitled Part 3

“Look at Jackson,” Birdie scoffed, rolling her eyes at Renetta.

“Can you believe people are actually comparing you to <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">that?”

Renetta sensed Birdie’s tone and before she did her usual scan of the miniscule school parking lot, her eyes fell instantly on Jackson Monroe’s bright red Ford ’68 pickup truck.

Jackson had just parked his car and was opening the door slowly as a plaid bandanna fell out, covered in dirt, from a long morning on the fields, Renetta assumed.

Jackson reached down and threw it through the window he had cracked open for air.

He was dressed in a snug plaid button down that hugged his lean muscles and he smiled at people as they passed.

Renetta even noticed one girl swooned.

“What about him?”

Renetta asked.

“Didn’t you see his bandanna?

It had dirt and sweat all over it.

He was obviously working the fields this morning!

He has his future all planned out but he attempts to be normal by working at his daddies company like the fact he works like the rest of us will make him blend in more.”

“At least he took a shower before coming to school,” Renetta played.

“I’m serious,” Birdie sulked.

“Birdie, you’re forgetting I have the same planned out as him.

I think it’s nice he’s working the dirt before he builds on it.

I sort of wish my daddy would let me do the same.

But he didn’t have a son who can do the heavy lifting so for the rest of my life all I have to do is stay pretty while I’m some mouthpiece for a man who does all the dirty work for me.

Do you know how that makes me feel?”

“I would if my parents owned a multi-million dollar corporation like your families,” Birdie shot back.