Chapter 3: A Warm Welcome

Ava was still crying by the time mom pulled into the Pegro's driveway. The house that brought back so many bad memories gloomed over head casting a dark shadow along the snow. Josie tried to sink down into her seat as Mrs. Pegro came running out of her front door, covered in coats.
"Linda! Linda, how great to see you again. It has been too long!" Mrs. Pegro said to Ava's mother.
"Yes! Yes you too Connie!" Ava's mother replied to Mrs. Pegro as she got out of she car to give a hug. "Can we go inside? It's super cold out here."
"Of course come inside!"
Ava's mom grabbed some bags, leaving the rest for Jo and Ava to carry. Jo pulled on her coat and climbed out of the car as Ava wiped the last tear off her face. After erasing the thoughts of her dad from her mind, Ava climbed out too.
All the bags were in the front seat because Colton was in the back. As Ava handed Jo a bag, she felt something sharp...very sharp get stuck in her arm. Ava fell to the cold ground and screamed as it felt like something icy was moving through her veins.
Her scream died down and her vision went black. For a quick second she heard Josie screaming "Ava got shot!" Then before she went totally deaf, she heard Jo's footsteps leading away from the car. Then it was silent.