PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE ~ 

5 years before

Beep… Beep… Beep…

The constant sound of the monitor is the first thing I hear as my eyes flutter open.

Beep… Beep… Beep…

I can hear the sound of people talking but it isn’t clear, it feels like I am underwater?

“Can you explain what happened to Demetria?” an unfamiliar voice questioned.

“Well she had been feeling tired and achy since Monday but I didn’t think too much of it because she’s quite an active child, she could have just worked herself too hard. But as the week went on she wasn’t eating like she usually and was vomiting. I kept her off school thinking it was a virus but this morning she was standing in the kitchen with me when she vomited and then collapsed.” I hear my mother’s voice explain.

“Okay thankyou, we have run many tests on her and have come to the conclusion that...” the sound of the voices faded out as my eyes drooped shut, pulling me back into sleep…

“Come on sweetheart, don’t you leave me as well”

I try with all my strength to get my eyes to open but they were frozen shut.

“Demetria please, I only have you left!” 

I feel the sensation of someone touching my hand. My mum carefully picks it up and holds it, stroking my palm softly. With too much effort, I was able to squeeze her hand slightly, making her gasp in shock. My eyes flutter open but squint quickly due to the bright lights in the room.

“Demetria?!” she urgently says, “DOCTOR!”

The door bursts open and the sound of heavy footsteps flood the room.

“Hello Demetria, I am Doctor Ryan, do you know where you are?” a middle aged woman with dark brown hair and green eyes asks me.

“In a room somewhere?” I confusedly say, scanning the room in sign of anything I recognise as being familiar. Nothing.

“You are in hospital honey and you have been for just over a day. I’m guessing you don’t know what happened?”

Doctor Ryan spent the next half an hour talking and explaining to me what had happened and what the situation is now. It was a lot to take in but before I knew it, I was walking out the hospital door with a bag full of medication inside and getting in the car to drive home.

……………

“Demetria why should anyone trust you with a bike, you can’t even ride one” 11 year old Ashton mocks me with a smug smile on his face. God I hate that kid, why does he have to live across the road from us?!

“Why do you have a brain, you can’t use it” I raise my eyebrow at him before sharply turning my back and strolling back over to my new bike that I got the day before.  Ashton Irwin was the snobby, obnoxious boy who lived directly opposite me and has done for the past 2 years or so. I swing my leg over the side and sit on the padded seat.

“Alright look, if you can beat me at a race to the end of this road on bikes, I’ll leave you and your dumb bike alone” he challenges me, laughing.

“Let’s do it”

He brings his bike so it is lined up next to mine and sits down on the seat.

“Ready… set… GO” he yells before taking off down the road. I pedal as fast as I can and soon catch up with him. I carry on pedalling and quickly overtake him. As I come towards the end of the road, I start to brake, but nothing was happening. Panic floods over me. No matter how hard I apply the brakes, nothing was happening.

“RIA WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”  I hear Ashton scream from way behind me.

The end of the road comes closer and closer but I wasn’t slowing down.  I squeezed my eyes shut seconds before a force sent me flying off my bike and tumbling to the road floor. Then I was gone.