The D Day

Author's POV

Mithali went to the terrace to get the dried clothes which were there on the wires. She was removing one by one. She was searching for her secret crush who always comes at the same time to walk on the terrace, she was seeing for sometime, as he didn't turn up, she was going downstairs with disappointment, but then he came, she felt some unknown feeling in her heart and turned around to find him walking there on their opposite terrace.

Mithali and Chaitanya lived in the opposite apartments and both of them were pure introverts, who didn't like socializing much and were always in their world. Somehow both of them fell for each other unknowingly and they secretly steal glances at each other in some or the other way. Either in the evenings on terrace or in the mornings in the balcony. They don't talk to each other but just give a knowing smile whenever their eyes meet. The thing is they never missed a day since the past 3 years. Every new year they plan to to confess their feeling to each other but somehow it get delayed.

The society they lived in hosts a party every new year night and then have secret confession room, where they can confess their feeling or regrets to the other person by writing on a paper and making it an envelope and posting in a box, it will be given to the person like a postal delivery. It was always an interesting game and people had fun during the game. Along with this, they also had many games while the elders sit and chit chat, the young people try to interact and have fun with the music and dance, while the kids play around. Totally the NEW YEAR event was always a fun to everyone.

"Mithali, did you decide the dress you are wearing for the new year event?",her mother asked her and she bent her head down and nodded a no.

"I knew it, don't tell me you are not attending the party this year also? This time you have to Mithali, I know you don't like to go around with so many people surrounding you, but give it a try, maybe it will be fun. Please dear!", she pleaded Mithali.

"Mom, please next year, I will definetely come, promise!", she said with hope that her mom would agree.

"Mithali, I am not going to give in this time, you have not attended any parties since your father passed away and you don't talk much also. Try to come out of your shell dear, For once listen to your mother if you don't feel comfortable this time, I will never ask you again. Never ever", she somehow made Mithali agree.

"Okay mom, for you! But if I don't open my mouth in front of all those aunties don't blame me", she said sternly.

"Okay, now wear this dress this will look pretty on you , the red colour will look good on you",her mother forced her to wear a red colour anarkali with white dupatta and palazo.

Mithali some how agreed and it was around 7pm, both of them started to get ready. Mithali got ready in a simple way and waited for her mom. Her mom saw her and widened her eyes in shock.

" Mithali, you didnt get ready yet?"she exclaimed.

"Mom, I am ready already! what else do you want me to do?", she asked innocently like a kid.

"Oh God! come with me I will help you in getting ready like a school kid, you do a job and still don't know how to get ready, where can I find a best daughter than you?",her mother said and took her to her room and made her ready like a doll.

"Mom, we are just going to new year party, what is the need for this much make up, let me remove it "she said and removed almost all her make up and looked like a perfect girl with minimal make up.

" This much is enough mom, come let's go now", she took her purse and dragged her mom to the party arena after locking her home.

She noticed Chaitanya was there in a corner with drink in his hand, he wore a white t-shirt with black blazer and black jeans. He looked cool and handsome, they exchanged a smile again as soon as their eyes met.