Tired In Tokyo

Published: 12.30.20

Collab with FujoshiBird1216

  It was a bright afternoon in Tokyo, the most populated city in the world. Even though it wasn't rush hour for office workers, the streets were full of students heading home or to internet cafes.

Anyone who would see the city would notice its prosperity and liveliness. A person's only conclusion would be that it was a city full of youthful joy among the busy life of its residents.

But Tokyo is more than just its charming urban life as advertised to others.

In the shadows, there live the most dangerous group in the city, the traditional gangsters of Japan, who are feared by all. The yakuza.

People with bodies filled with tattoos, great muscular build, and the occasional black suits.

The yakuza were hidden in Tokyo, in all of Japan actually, and were feared for their brutality and involvement with the criminal underworld.

Sitting on the rooftop of a building sat one of those people, though you wouldn't know it by looking at him.

The building he was on belonged to Toyokawa, a manufacturing company that specialized in school stationery products.

Unknown to the public, it was only a front to hide their identity as an infamous gang in the underworld known as the Kuroi Ryu group.

While many were normal office workers to avoid suspicion, the rest hid intimidating tattoos underneath their suits, their ID as part of a specific yakuza group.

Adachi Kiyoshi, the person sitting tiredly on the rooftop, was part of this group. Adachi sighed out of pure exhaustion after a long night of work assigned to him by the gang leader [himself].

The rooftop was the only place he could go to eat an onigiri in peace and rest. It also didn't hurt that the view was beautiful [during] sunset.

As he took a bite of his favorite onigiri, he was reminded of when someone called him out for eating it everyday. "Maybe I should start eating something else." He mused to himself.

Just as he took another bite, a younger boy opened the door to the rooftop with a loud scream, causing Adachi to jump a bit and choke on his food. "Aniki! Aniki!"

Adachi quickly caught his breath and waved his hand to call the boy over. "I'm right here. You don't need to yell." The boy quickly bowed and apologized, a lot quieter as he spoke this time.

"Ah! I'm sorry, please forgive me!" Adachi waved it off. "N-No, it's fine."

As soon as the boy stood up straight, Adachi asked him what he was doing there. "Boss wants you."

Having already guessed the reason, Adachi sighed. He stood up and ate the rest of his onigiri as he walked back into the building, the boy following quickly behind him.

Once they made it to the room they were looking for, the boy bowed and left, leaving Adachi alone to knock on the door before entering when a voice from inside called him in.

Behind the desk on the other side of the room was Urabe Kengo, the current gang leader and Adachi's adoptive brother.

"Ah, Adachi!" Urabe waved him over and Adachi closed the door behind him before standing in front of Urabe's desk. "Yes?"

Urabe placed a stack of papers in front of him. "I need you to do some background checks for me. Can you do it?" Adachi eyed the papers.

He was half tempted to say no, but he knew he wouldn't, especially after he saw Urabe's pleading look directed at him.

Adachi held back another sigh and asked defeatedly, "When do you need it?"

Urabe's expression brightened in a silent cheer, "I need it by tomorrow [night]." Adachi nodded and asked if he could leave.

Once he reached the hall outside, Adachi ruffled his hair in frustration before leaving the building.

That night, Adachi tried to stay up for as long as he could trying to get as much information as he could before he had to go to school at the university a few blocks away from his apartment.

It was almost finals week, so he's been studying nonstop to prepare for it.

Unfortunately, that combined with the constant number of work Urabe assigns to him has led Adachi to become practically sleep deprived and in dire need of rest.

Adachi knows that because of his close relationship [to] Urabe, he can just say no and it'd be assigned to another member.

Adachi would never do that though. He always feels like he should do as much as he can to help Urabe and the others, even if it resulted in him suffering.

After all, in Adachi's eyes, Urabe and the rest of the gang are his saviors.

Adachi lost his parents when he was thirteen, leaving him stuck on the streets. It lasted for a few months until Urabe found him and took him in.

Urabe was only a teen by then so he asked his dad, the leader at the time, to take Adachi in.

Adachi later found out that Urabe's dad was very close to his parents, so they took him in and allowed him to keep his family name.

By the time they took him off the streets, he was really jumpy and defensive.

The gang, who were all a lot nicer than he thought they'd be, helped him get used to everything enough to relax a bit, though he still got jumpy at times as old habits die hard.

Speaking of which, Adachi jumped at the sound of a knock at the door. When he got up and opened it, he was only half surprised to see Fujisaki standing there with her usual friendly smile.

"Fujisaki-san? What are you doing here?"

"I know you have finals exams all week starting today." Fujisaki gave him a soft look and he distantly wondered how she always seemed to know everything. "You should sleep Adachi."

He shook his head, "No, I have to-" Fujisaki lightly pulled his hands from his face when he started to rub at his eyes.

Adachi mumbled a thank you and was about to continue arguing with her until he saw the look she was giving him. "I know you care Adachi, but you should take care of yourself first."

He was hesitant for a moment before he sighed and Fujisaki smiled in victory.

Adachi's not at all surprised that she won. Fujisaki is also in the gang. Everyone sees her as a motherly figure, including Adachi as she helped him when he first came to the gang.

Adachi left to wash up and came back to an empty room. The stack of papers given to him by Urabe were gone too and they were now replaced with a nutrient bottle and a note.

"Good luck with your exams. I'll handle the info."

Adachi smiled. It even has a smiley face at the end, he thought. Adachi made sure his door was locked before turning off the lights and falling onto his bed face first.

He didn't realize how tired he really was until he found himself knocked out immediately after hitting the mattress.

1185 Words